Battery in new macbook pro 2009 defective?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JJBro1, Oct 1, 2009.

1. JJBro1 macrumors regular

I just got this macbook when they rolled out the new ones in june. Before I would get up to eight hours on a full charge with power saver on and now I barely get up to five hours on a full charge. As of right now im at 79% with 1:52 left! What's the deal? Can I exchange my macbook for a new one or will they try and tell me to buy a new battery?

2. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

When did you purchase this again? if your are past the 14-day or whatever return policy from date of purchase then more than likely they won't replace your machine. They can, however, replace the battery. The unfortunate side to that is it will be in repairs for about 12-24hrs at an apple store.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Battery life varies with usage (shockingly!). If you are doing more power-demanding things like flash or playing music through speakers, your battery won't last as long.

4. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

google coconut battery and see what that tells you

5. JJBro1 thread starter macrumors regular

ill be using itunes and ill get at least 7-8 hours now i wont have any programs open and ill get like 4.

6. Dogfood1 macrumors newbie

Any applications running Perl?

do you have any applications running perl? I have a Logitech Squeezebox, and the "SqueezeCenter" software runs on perl. It is a complete power hog. Both resources and battery life. I have a month old MBP and when that Squeezebox software is running, I get only a couple hours of battery life. Turn it off, and all is well. Check your Activity Monitor to see if anything is funky.

Dogfood1

7. JJBro1 thread starter macrumors regular

no im not running any of those programs.

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

If your battery is defective, it is covered under your MacBook Pro warranty for one year - Apple will service and replace it for you for free.

However, if you're running Snow Leopard, it may not be a defective battery. There has been two times where I checked my battery info in SL, and it said "60% - 45 minutes left" and it lasted 1.5 hours more without changing what I was doing.

Also, it said "Service Battery" or whatever, 2 times already but after 1 or 2 days, it went back to normal.

Try to cycle your battery (drain it completely and charge it back to 100%).