Battery % incorrect

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by teffers, Nov 7, 2013.

1. teffers, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

teffers macrumors regular

Since installing Mavericks the remaining % on the inbuilt battery icon will occasionally stop counting down, it will just sit there not updating. It stays like this until I open Energy Saver prefs and remove and re-tick 'show battery status' - then it updates and shows the correct %.

iStat (minus the usual 5%), Coconut & Battery Time all show the correct info that would have normally matched up to the menu bar battery % but it no longer does. So it does just seem like the the menu bar item is not updating as it should.

I've tried an SMC reset and a PRAM reset (I now know the PRAM wouldn't have helped anyway) but to no avail.

Macbook is 3 months old.

Any ideas ?

2. vonglower macrumors newbie

The same problem!

Exactly the same problem! Any ideas from someone?

3. dean1012 macrumors regular

I'd make sure iStat Menus is fully up to date (check their website against your version. I don't always trust auto updaters).

If it isn't, update it. If it is, first try to clear SMC and if that doesn't work reinstall iStat Menus.

I have a 2013 MBA and use iStat Menus. I am not having this issue with Mavericks.

4. teffers, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

teffers thread starter macrumors regular

It's not iStat that has the issue unfortunately, it's the built in menu bar battery icon that just randomly stops counting down.

iStat (and any other bettery app I've tested) all show the correct (or the 5% normal adjusted) reading.

As mentioned, tried an SMC reset too with no effect. I've read a few times on the net with this happening but with no clear answer to how to fix it.

For now I've just told the stock battery indicator to not show the % and am using 'Battery Tim Remaining' app instead.

5. dean1012 macrumors regular

Ahh sorry, I misunderstood!

I disabled the builtin battery monitor and use iStat instead so it's very possible I have that problem as well and just didn't notice it.

6. teffers thread starter macrumors regular

No worries, I think I may just do something similar permanently. The problem may have even been there before Mavericks and I hadn't spotted it.

Thanks for the replies anyway ;-)

7. vonglower, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

vonglower macrumors newbie

Problem returned

I done a SMC reset, and the problem seemed to be resolved, at least for 5 days. It then reappeared:
    Specifically, I was charging my battery, and it remained stuck at 83%, saying "calculating time until full charge"
    Then I restarted in Windows (I have a dual boot through bootcamp) (by the way, in Windows 7 professional, it seems to be no problem), and then I restarted again in Mac OSX Mavericks, and again the indicator was stuck, this time at 95%.
    The battery was charged, and suddenly, the indicator shows 100%. I unplug the charger, and the battery starts to show the correct percentage, discharging and showing the remaining time.
    Meanwhile, I was speaking (chating) with a apple support representative, and she told me to visit an apple support center, if the problem appears again ("potential problem with logic board", or something like that)
    Guys, do you have any ideas-recommendations? Please...

P.S. My firmware shows "2.2f44" (and no updates available) What is the difference with SMC firmware 1.8 for Mid-2012 models (like mine)? Should I install it?

8. vonglower macrumors newbie

Bootcamp issue?

Guys, I have a feeling that it happens to me when for some reason I start or restart by choosing Windows (Bootcamp).
    All this time (since my last post), having already done two charges, there seems to be no problem, but I work exclusively with Mavericks (not have used Windows).
    I believe that for some reason Windows in bootcamp block something or create some issue...
    (Besides, do not forget that in Windows the battery indicator changes normally).
    I will continue to watch it, and if I see anything new, I will inform the forum, for people that may or will experience something similar.