Battery Indicator is cycling through all bays.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Araym, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Araym macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm new to the community and just recently bought my refurbished Macbook Pro late 2008/early 2009, 2.53 Ghz model. This morning I realized that the battery indicator was off. Immediately checked the battery information to check it's current health and then the charge. Both indicated that the notebook was operating at similar/pristine levels as when I first received the machine. Though restarting and recharging has not solved the battery indicator problem. I haven't seen any detrimental effects on the performance. Is this problem worth asking an Apple Store employee/scheduling an appointment? Guess I'm a little jumpy being new to the machine. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, I apologize for double posting a similar thread.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. Araym thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for being unclear. On my Unibody Macbook pro. The battery indicator on the left side of the notebook, cycles through each level indicating the current charge level. The light goes from the first level all the way to the end and back and then blinks on the first bay/level. I assume it's saying that it has little to no charge but, when I ran battery diagnostic tools it has indicated that it still holds maximum charge. I'm just worried that it might be a hard ware problem on the indicator its self and not the battery. If so I was worried a misfire of the charge possibly damaging the logic board or other major components on the notebook. It's odd because the night before the battery indicator was working splendidly but for some odd reason it just decided to stop working. Is it worth bring up to the apple store? The notebooks only a week old.

4. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Uhm the indicator on the left side of the laptop just shows what percentage the battery is at. Right now I look at it and 3 lights are on so I can guess there is around 30% battery left (34% according to the OS).

Those light are not a battery health indicator if that is what you're getting at. If thats not what you meant then sorry I have no clue what you're talking about.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes, I'd ask them. If the problem is with the light I wouldn't worry about it, but if the light is changing because the battery is actually misreporting its charge to the system, its longevity could suffer.

6. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

If you wish, you can also try following Apple's directions for resetting the SMC - the controller chip that handles quite a number of system functions, including charging and battery status. (You'll want the subsection labelled "MacBook Air and MacBook Pro (Late 2008 and later)".)

This has a reasonable chance of fixing your problem, and should not do anything to harm the computer even if it doesn't fix it.

7. Araym thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your help. The Indicator on the left still hasn't worked and it's been about two days. Though I have monitored the battery with third party apps and the battery meter within the interface and all indicates a good healthy battery. So I think it's just a malfunction on the on the indicator an not on any other part of the notebook. I'll be taking it to the apple store in hopes to verify that the malfunction will not affect any other part of the notebook. Thank you again for the help.