Battery indicator: low light

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maskov1, Jun 5, 2010.

1. maskov1 macrumors newbie

Hi all. I am very paranoid about my new macbook pro... so this question

When I have macbook turned off, battery light indicator light well (nice green glow, visible at day and night..)
    BUT when I have macbook turned on, light is very low.. almost invisible
    When I close lid (sleep macbook) light is nice again... is this only my problem or what?

Thanks for any answer

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is your only problem.

3. maskov1 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm this is strange.. my girlfriend's macbook (13") has the same problem as mine (15")

also, I've noticed... when I have turned off (or sleeped) indicator light nice and before turned off it slowly turning down... but when I have macbook turned on.. it is in the last sequence of "normal" turning down light...

I hope you can understand me (bad english)

edit: both of us have new 2010 version of macbook

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Just a stupid question. But what in gods name do you need the battery indicator for when the notebook is ON???
    Maybe the LED brightness is low for a reason. I'd assume it wants to tell you you should look at the freakin screen.

That is also what GGJStudios wanted to tell you. It is not your MacBook's probelm it is YOUR problem.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Crap, thats a sign of logic-board failure. Your MBP probably won't last for the next month.

-LOL just joking ;-) Its nothing!:D:apple:

6. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

I vote on you taking off the bottom cover and hooking up an HID bulb in the place of that LED, you'll be much more satisfied with results.

7. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I freaked out about this too when I first got my Macbook Pro. The battery indicator lights are actually hooked up to the ambient light sensor that also adjusts the brightness of your screen.

This is confirmed by shining a light at the area above your screen where your webcam is. While holding the light there, hit the indicator button-- the lights are bright, no? Now cover the same area with your hand and hit the button-- the lights are dim, yes? No idea why Apple also had these lights work off of the ambient sensor... I would PREFER they be at HIGH all the time. But at least you know that they are properly functioning. :)

EDIT: Their old features page for the MBP actually confirmed this... but it has since been changed. I tried finding it for you.

EDIT 2: Found it... haha.

Also, here is my original thread on this concern: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=795906

8. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

since this thread has come to a hault, i would like to add to the rant and say it would be cool to make the ambient lights a vibrant blue or purple instead of the green. :p

9. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

open the case, put a piece of blue see through tape in front of the leds and call it a day

10. maskov1 thread starter macrumors newbie

@mousouchop
    thanks, you are right, I've trying this now and it is full functional :)

11. Mikool12 macrumors newbie

put a torch up to the ambient light sensor (next to isight) and look at the battery indicator

12. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I know some people here hate seeing old threads bumped but I didn't want to create a new thread and be told to just search for old threads...

In short, I notice that even when I cover up the light sensor the green LED indicators dont get brighter. The only time I even see them is when I plug/unplug the charger cable, they'll light up to show the current charge and fade away.

Also while the clam shell is closed I'll notice the orange light on the charger turns green for a few seconds and the led light also turn green. Then the charger light tunes back to orange and the green LEDs turn off again.

Is there anyway to get them to stay on at all times? Is that behavior normal?