Battery indicator shows 20%, then jumps to 86%

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dave Pendleton, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Dave Pendleton macrumors newbie

Has anyone experienced the battery indicator on the iPhone 3G S display a low percentage left on the battery and then suddenly jump to a higher percentage left on the battery?

For example, battery indicator shows 20% battery life remaining, then after continued use, using iTunes, checking email, the indicator jumps to 86%.

Thanks, Dave

2. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

That just happended to me. My indicator juped like 5 or 6 times today and than my iPhone turned off itself when the indicator showed 21% and now I have to recharge it. Weird.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There is a thread about this issue elsewhere on here. From what I remember, you might need to do a restore or take it back to the store.

4. EViLDOC614 macrumors newbie

This happened to me with my phone. After a complete restore the phone continued to do the same thing. I called apple care who made an appointment for me at a local Apple store where they swapped it out.

5. sparkles61785 macrumors regular

This happened to me about two days after I received my iPhone. I got the 20% warning after barely using it. And then it jumped back up to 79% 3 minutes later. This problem only occurred once, so I didn't do anything. However, if it ever happens again, I'll be calling Apple in a heartbeat.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Take screenshots and share them with us and the Apple genius.....:cool::cool::cool:

7. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

what did u tell the genius? Since i can't really show him the percentages jumping, how did u explain the problem (i'm going tomorrow.)

8. Jay26 macrumors member

I had this same issue, as well. I advised the Genius that the battery life was fluctuating between full charge and no charge. The phone was also shutting off, then coming back on with almost full charge.

The Genius ran a diagnostic check on the phone and was able to see the previous charge cycle. He confirmed the sporadic activity and swapped the phone.

9. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

The other day my battery indicator wouldn't change at all. Eventually my phone shutoff without warning. I'm guessing this is a 3.1b2 issue since this is the first time I've encountered the problem. I can't be certain of that though.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I just remembered that my neighbor was have the same issue with his battery showing it was charged and then it would go from 100% to 77% in a matter of seconds, so I can only imagine that it's a very common set of issues.....:(:(:(

11. lavinci macrumors 6502

The battery indicator isn't reading the battery charge correctly. This is most likely a software issue, but apple geniuses can see the charge cycles on their checks though.

12. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

What I am trying now is compleatly unloading and than reloading the iPhone. If that does not fix the problem I don't know what to do. I really do not want to have my iPhone exchanged since it's otherwise near perfect and the refurb ones they give you are often not that great.

13. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Is there a timeframe for getting a refurb vs a brand new phone if you bring in a defective one? I'm starting to have these battery fluctuation issues on my 1 month old 3GS and I really don't want a used phone in return!

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

A month is probably the limit but no guarantee. No one could tell you for sure. If you had returned it in the first week or so, you'd probaby be golden.
    There's nothing wrong with getting a refurb.