Battery Indicator Shows "X"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DMDugan69, Jan 3, 2009.

1. DMDugan69 macrumors newbie

My MacBook (purchased late 2007) battery indicator has an "x" where the battery meter usually shows the time/% remaining. When I unplugged the power cord, the computer shuts down. The battery life indicator on the bottom of the battery shows it's fully charged and it works fine with my other MacBook. Any clues how to resolve the battery issue?

2. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

The X means it's not being recognized by the computer. Is this the first time this has happened? Try taking it out and putting it back in. . . could be a loose connection. Otherwise, you may be screwed. You'd have to get the battery connection on the laptop replaced (assuming the battery is fine). Do you have another battery to test to see if it's the computer or the battery?

3. DMDugan69 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the battery from my other MacBook and it has the same issue. Didn't know if it was a software or hardware issue.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

uh oh, could be the logic board. I had one go with near same symptoms. $1k to fix.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

Has the macbook had a liquid spill? Does your macbook have the Apple battery update? Have you tried the battery in another macbook? Try a different battery in your macbook.

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

7. DMDugan69 thread starter macrumors newbie

My early-teen kids use this MacBook so a liquid spill is possible. I've tried batteries that work fine on my other MacBook, so it's something with the computer itself.

8. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Well, in that case, DMDugan69, I hope you bought AppleCare with your MacBook. :(

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

My early 08 MBP just had the same thing happen today. I bought it in October so it's within warranty. I've set up an appointment with the genius bar tomorrow, we'll see how it goes.
    I've resat the battery, I've restarted, and reset the p-ram. The batter is also full (all lights go on when the button is pushed).

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

So after resetting the PMU (remove batter and all power and hold down the power button for 10 seconds) everything fixed itself.