Battery Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by patp, Apr 10, 2008.

1. patp Guest

Hi all,
    Tried searching but came up with nothing. My 8gb Ipod Touch is great. Love it. But am a little concerned about my battery life. It seems to go thru battery cycle fairly quick - charging daily. mostly using it for music with occasional web surfing.

Does turning it on and off use more battery?

What kind of average hours should I be getting from my battery?

Thanks in advance. I tried to search first, so please forgive me if the answer was too obvious.

Pat

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

You shouldn't turn it on and off when you're not using it. Just put it to sleep.

But some more specific information might be helpful.

3. thatonekid393 macrumors member

Turning it on and off consumes a bit more energy, yes. Using the internet is a huge factor....if you use the internet only, you get about 4-6 hours out of your Touch's battery, so you can see how using it even a little can drag you down. I just keep Wi-fi off unless I am within range of somewhere to charge or I absolutely need to.

If anyone has any tips on how to treat the battery (I hear draining it totally once a month is good for it) that would be cool.

4. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

if you restart it, it will consume more battery. 4-6 hours wifi use? I don't think that you can keep that much time for. because mine goes averagely 3-3.5 hours. with half brightness, auto brightness mode.

5. thatonekid393 macrumors member

I forgot to mention auto brightness is also an energy consumer. I usually keep my screen at less than 50% brightness without the auto adjuster.

6. patp thread starter Guest

Thanks guys! 3-3.5hours of web surfing seems to be about right for me, so I'm glad to hear it's not just my battery.

So far really loving this thing!

7. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Also it helps out if you turn off wifi after your done using it.

8. actingbiz1 macrumors member

actingbiz1

Yea I've noticed my battery dies quickly....
    My suggestion is if you have a jailbroken iPod, find a sysinfo tool where you can select processes and force quit programs that are open. OF COURSE YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BE CAREFUL WITH KILLING PROCESSES! DO NOT KILL ANY PROCESS YOU ARE NOT SURE WHAT IT IS!

9. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

wha???? Why would you need that?
    just turn off the wifi in settings. If its jailbroken, there are apps that let you turn off ssh too