Battery is draining really fast

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bpetruzzo, Sep 16, 2009.

1. bpetruzzo macrumors regular

My iPhone 3GS is only a couple weeks old and the battery has started draining really fast. Today, it's only been off the charger for about 2 hours and was only used once to make a call and to check facebook. 3 minutes of actual use, tops. It's already down to about 50% battery life.

I think it's a software thing. The same thing happened yesterday. After a few hours of being off the wall charger, it was down to about 30%. Then, I plugged it into the computer for about a minute and it was back to nearly 100% and was fine for the rest of the day.

I tried restarting the phone today to see if that somehow jostled things into working. It didn't. I don't mind isolated issues, but this is starting to seem like a chronic problem.

Anyone know what's going on?

2. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

Update: Plugging it in today, as I did yesterday, hasn't fixed the problem for today. It's just charging like normal.

3. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

4. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I upgraded to 3.1 just a few days after it came out (something I probably shouldn't have done cause tethering went away).

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I would suggest you search one of the many threads on this subject that have popped up since 3.1.

6. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I gathered that. I searched a couple pages deep and there are quite a few. But they all seem to stop with someone saying, "you should look at one of the other threads about battery life". I gather there must be one or two active threads somewhere, but I can't find them.

7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

There does not seem to be a solution in any of the threads, I guess no-one has really identified the cause of the battery problem, other than that it's the 3.1 update :(

But people here like eawmp1 are very intolerant of "repeat" questions/problems. Even though the problem hasn't been solved anywhere else. I think you're supposed to feel satisfied just to put a "me too" post on page 153 of whatever first thread says "battery" in its title and feel you've done your bit.

I hope this gets sorted out, I'll stay on 3.0.1 for the moment since even on that my battery life is not fantastic.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

It's not intolerance, the OP brings NOTHING new by posting a new thread. Read the forum rules. You keep a thread active by posting to it. The information can be found in one place to exchange information. When a solution/new information is to be added, it can be found in one place...not scattered in snippets throughout MacRumors.

9. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

True, but that's not my fault. I feel vindicated.

I was finally able to confirm my problem is not directly associated with the 3.1 software. But unfortunately the forum wasn't able to provide any help because the question got shot down before it could be looked at for what it was. And, as I said, I did look for a unified thread, but couldn't find the one everyone seems to be referring to.

I mean, how about, "If you search the forum you'll find a lot of people are having battery trouble with the new 3.1 update. No solution yet, but here's the running thread...{link}." At which point I could see that thread, read through it and possibly even determine if the symptoms of my problem actually match everyone else's, potentially saving lots of time troubleshooting. I think a little patience would have helped everyone--including other people who might share my specific problem in the future.

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I had this problem starting couple of days ago while on 3.0.1 It was awful. But I upgraded via pwnage tool to 3.1 and all my problems went away. I made sure to set it up as a new phone, and be very careful with what I download from cydia. :)

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

While not completely unified, it's not hard to post/advance an existing thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=785076
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=787129
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=785375
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=785356
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=784874

It's just that I don't like doing work for lazy people who claim to search (the above sites I found in 1 minute).

12. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

So, having read them, and gleaned not a lot, which one of those are you suggesting he should have posted to?