Battery is finished on old MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SD-B, Sep 16, 2014.

1. SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

I have a MBP from late 2009 that I use just to download some files on and use with Apple TV.

I am under the impression that it no longer has a battery. Or at least I thought that was the case but now I am not sure.
    I thought it had run out months ago.

First, I must assume that they will still run, a macbook pro as long as i have the adapter charging it, correct?
    And if I take it out, the adaptor, would that mean it would shut down immediately or take a minute to do so?

Just had a problem where it ran out, I think, turned it off, was unable to turn it on, noticed the adaptor was not showing a green light so i put my other adaptor on it knowing it worked and again, I didn't see any light.

Did a Shift/Option/Command while i pressed the ON button and nothing.
    Let go and just turned on the ON button again but alone this time and it turned on.
    Noticed the green light on the adaptor then kicked in.

Guess i am not very observant but when the computers are shut down and the adaptor is still plugged into it, isn't the green light still on?

Anyhow, I see the battery icon and it now says 11%.
    Says it will take 1:04 until full so it appears my battery is not dead after all?

I could have sworn I did not have any battery left a few months ago so kind of boggled by this..................?

TIA

Edit:

Usually its noisy. I hear the fan.
    Not now. It hasn't been so quiet in a long time

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Looks like the SMC reset fixed a lot of your old issues.

3. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

Holding down the keys I mentioned, THATS the SMC reset I notice being mentioned so often?

Funnily enough, I thought it was something far more complicated that that simple move.

3 days later and I still don't hear the noises i once did. I used to hear a fan, I assume it was, all the time and now its silent.....

Just in time for me to buy a new mac LOL