Battery Is Not Charging - But Wait! Please Read! Advice Needed...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrpeepers, Jul 20, 2009.

  1. mrpeepers macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    #1
    So first off, I scheduled an appt with the Genius Bar tomorrow...

    Over the last day, I've noticed that when my new Macbook (new generation, 13 inch, bought in November 2008) is plugged into a power source, when I click on the Battery icon (upper right corner) it reads, "Battery is not charging." It also shows a percentage of battery that is left. But if I come back in an hour or so, the battery reads at 100%. Fully Charged.

    So I drain it a little. For example, just did some photo editing while a DVD was playing in the background, drained the battery to 90%. Plugged in the power source. "Battery is not charging." Came back in a little while, battery's back at 100%.

    The Power Source, while plugged in is, "Power Adapter" but while that reads OK, it's the "Battery is not charging" that is throwing me.

    Do you all think this is a hardware problem or software problem?

    I do notice that the little light on the magnetic power adapter is NOT illuminated but when I change to another outlet, it might show, just dimmer. VERY dim.

    Also, when I unplug the adapter, the screen dims knowing it's been disconnected from a power source. Plug it back in, and it brightens again.

    The only thing that's happened to my power adapter is that my 8 month old yanked the power adapter (magnetic end) out of the laptop, and sucked on it for a few seconds. I assume got shocked. Maybe that blew something...

    He's OK. Just got a little scare. I think I was more scared.

    Any way... Thanks for reading.
     
  2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    Location:
    USA
    #2
    Try an SMC reset - instructions are at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411?viewlocale=en_US

    If the charger was sucked on (tongue, lips, earlobes -- especially for children with tender skin), it can give a very unpleasent shock (you'll know if you put both terminals of a 9V battery on your cheek and move it slowly towards the lips). Good you little one is OK.

    The LED problem is intriguing though. See if the SMC reset fixes that too.
     
  3. mrpeepers thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    #3
    thx.... Already tried all of that....
     
  4. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #4
    There's really no way we'll be able to help you. It could be many different things- the Genius should be able to fix it or at least diagnose it.
     
  5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2004
    #5
    It's possible the power adapter is designed to fail when it is shorted out in the way you described. It would certainly make sense to consider the possibility when you know the connector is designed to pull away easily, and has both conductors exposed on one flat plane. (Yank and suck)
     
  6. movieman76 macrumors member

    movieman76

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2006
    #6
    Please post how you made out with the Genius Bar as I have had the exact same thing happen with mine. Just would like to know what kind of situation I'm looking at before making the trip down to the Apple store. Thanks!
     
  7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #7
    Sounds like you need a replacement adapter. If you neglect to mention that your child has been sucking it then you should get a replacement just fine.
     

Share This Page