"battery is not charging"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crimsonkid, May 1, 2008.

1. crimsonkid macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I have a new MBP and it working great, besides one thing

I plug the power cable in to charge it up, the power symbol appears at the top of the screen, but if i click the drop down box it just says battery is not charging.

Can anyone tell me why this is, or why it wont charge my MBP?

Because it only happens sometimes.

Thanks

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

The battery will only be charged if it's below 95% in order not to waste battery cycles and make battery life longer. This is probably the case for you. So don't worry.

3. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

thanks,

but no =(

it was doing it at about 45% last time i checked

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

it may just be a bug that you can remedy by restarting your computer or perhaps you need to reset the PRAM.

5. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

this may be stupid, but what is PRAM?
    or how do you reset it?

6. czarny macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem with my new mbp. Turns out I had a faulty ac adapter. Does the green/orange light come on when you plug it in?

7. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Hold the Command+Option+P+R key together right after pressing the power button to start your computer. Wait to hear two chimes, and release them.

8. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Like mentioned before, resetting your PRAM should do the trick. Best of luck.

9. a4abt macrumors regular

happened to me once. I unplugged the power cord, left the notebook running on battery for ~5 minutes and plugged the power back in. It started to charge and problem solved!

10. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

Try this

11. anas08 macrumors newbie

battery doesnt say the right charge

Hi,

I need some help, i have a mack book pro 15'', and i hace the % symbol with my battery, i just notice that sometimes my battery would say 25% and then a minute later will shut the computer off, isnt saying the right charge, is that a battery hardware problem or is it a software one?

please help me i dont know how to fix it,

Thank you so much:)

12. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Did you calibrate it?

13. Polodragon1311 macrumors newbie

Battery "not charging"

Hey All,
    Had the issue of my macbook saying the battery was "not charging" even though it was plugged in to the charger. Did some quick research on the Apple Trouble Shooting site, and found that sometimes you run into this problem if you are in the habit of allowing the battery to drain completely (the battery converts to a type of power save feature that requires being plugged into a power source at all times). To get your battery to convert back to the charging mode you can try two things. **This is only applicable to the mac books w/ removable batteries

1) Unplug your mac, shut it down, remove and re-insert the battery and start up your mac again.

If that doesn't work...

2) Reset the SMC (System Management Controller)
    - Shut down the computer
    - Disconnect the power adapter if connected
    - Remove the battery
    - Press & hold the power button for 5 seconds
    - Release the power button
    - Reconnect the battery and power adapter
    - Turn on your computer again :)

I tried both options and option 2 was what fixed the problem for me. Now my battery is back to being able to charge again. I'd recommend going to the Apple site directly if you have any questions about the info I found. Good luck all!

14. biologykid macrumors newbie

Polydragon1311 is a god

THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU.

You knew.... my computer went into this NOT CHARGING mode. Little green light always on instead of warm orange charging light. And YES, I had let the battery go down to zero. And you suggested it went into some strange power save mode, and could be righted by removing the battery.

You ROCK!, Polydragon1311 !!

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

16. iphonetechtips macrumors newbie

Software fixes didn't work = hardware issue

I tried all the above fixes, SMC & P-ram reset, with no help.

Sadly I figured it must be a hardware issue, especially since my MacBook Pro was a recently pieced together Frankenstein. I knew I had to pull it apart again (luckily Ive gotten good at doing a logic board pull in under 5 minutes), but feared the logic board had some damage somewhere around the DC connector wiring. I didn't even have the logic board pulled all the way before I saw the issue... the battery charging wire off the DC board (board for the Mag-Safe power port) had gotten pinched under the right bracket arm holding down the display data cable & had frayed the insulation off the wiring. So I pulled the bracket, removed the wire, taped it up, (before completely re-installing the logic & DC Boards) I plugged in the battery to the logic board & hooked the charger up to the DC board to see if that fixed it &... *POW!* BRIGHT GREEN LIGHT, then WARM RED charging light! Reinstalled everything, booted up & System Specs showed charging battery & ALL GOOD!

If yours isn't the DC Board or the wiring like mine (or the MUCH EASIER software fix), it's probably what I feared... a bad connection on the Logic Board

17. golder macrumors newbie

Still No charge

MacBook Air2,1 Still not charging. It stopped charging all on its own with no event involved. I have reset the SMC and the PRAM. I have tried a different charger and cleaned the contacts. It is currently about 69% so well below the 95% cutoff. The battery is not removable so I haven't done that.

Next??

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.
    Check out the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the link below.

What is your current battery health and how many cycles are on your battery? Use iStat Pro to track such information. If you eliminate the battery and the adapter as being the source of the problem, the only remaining culprit is the logic board or a connector to it. For that, take your MBP to Apple for repair.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

19. emh1291 macrumors newbie

Battery not charging

Hello sorry if I'm being stupid here but how do I reset the SMC? This problem is starting to really get on my nerves now - if pull the charger out by accident i have to turn everything back on again. Please help!

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You click on the link above that GGJStudios so nicely supplied?

21. bizzlejames macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I just thought i'd just post this little bit of information from personal experience.

Basically, after leaving my MBP in the car over night (it went something like -3 degrees C that night) i took it out the next morning and i was very cold, almost like a block of ice. When i plugged in the AC adaptor the red light did not come on, only the green light. My laptop was only at 45% battery. When clicking the battery icon i got a message saying 'battery is not charging'

However about 10 mins later (after the laptop returned to room temperature) the battery started charging normally.

So if i was correct about temperature being the problem in my case, then maybe you could take that into account when making your diagnosis :)

22. Nevermake macrumors member

That gives a whole new meaning to the problem with "freezing issues" :cool: