Battery isn't being recognised. Help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tejaykay, Dec 28, 2008.

1. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Hi,

I've been running a new 2.53 MBP for the last few months. My old 15" PowerBook G4 has been laying dormant in the meantime. I've just done an erase and install of Leopard with the old machine to sell it on to a friend. However, now the battery won't be recognised and if the power plug comes out, the computer immediately shuts off. I won't feel comfortable passing it on in this condition.

Any ideas on what the problem is and how it can be fixed?

Thanks guys!

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Get a replacement...

4. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

My concern is that if I buy a new battery, the power supply will continue to 'divert' the battery. (Is this even possible?) I don't want to spend ~£40 on a new battery for it not to work.

Has anyone else had, or heard, of this problem? Also, is there a simple way to test whether it is the battery acting up or if the laptop is having an issue recognising it?

Many thanks.

5. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Anything is possible. But it really does sound as simple as the battery is completely dead from sitting around. Get a new battery and everything should be fine to sell..

6. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I concur. Is the battery is a couple of years old or more, it just couldn't take lying around. It's little heart was taken off life support and it gave up the ghost. If you have a friend with a PowerBook that uses the same battery, you could always try popping it in, but I think that would only confirm what we all think.

7. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Is it possible for the battery to completely drain to the point where it cannot be recharged? If I press the charge indicator on the battery, the first LED will pulse on and off. Does this mean I have a sign of hope? :)

If not, is there a way to directly charge the battery again?

Thanks again.

8. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Ok, yes. It is possible and very likely that the battery has been completely drained. They don't last forever. A sign of hope would be putting the battery in and the computer makes some sort of attempt to start up.

If the battery is completely dead there is no way to recharge it. Take the advice of thehellobob if you want to check it out. This should answer all the questions...

9. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay