Battery Issue, Can It Be Replaced.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nintendolinky, May 29, 2009.

1. Nintendolinky macrumors 6502

My battery is having issues on my early 2008 White MacBook, it is still in warrenty. The battery charge is going down very quick and I have a fairly high 187 cycle count. I have an appointment with the genuis bar, do they replace batteries instore or do they send them off to repair. Also do you think I would get a new battery. Thank you

2. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

If its under a year old then try Apple for a replacement.......if its over a year old and you dont have Applecare, then my friend.......your out of luck.......

My MB is only 5 months old and allready has 189 loadcycles on it............

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

In-store, and it's hard to say how a Genius will diagnose something. :D

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I had good luck with calling Apple Care. They ask me to read them the charge count and capacity and what not and determine if you can get a new one right away. They then mail you a new one and you send yours back in the box (they do put a hold of $129 on your credit card until you send the old one back though). Worked great for me.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

If your claim is legitimate, which I'm sure it is, you will most likely be given a new battery. Just answer their questions, be nice, and don't let them talk you out of getting a new battery. I have had better luck with telephone support than in-store geniuses. I don't have much love for the geniuses, but YMMV.

6. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I think the policy was something like if its within a year and has less than 300cycles (that's kinda what they consider the battery as "fully used up" or something) and its having issues holding a charge they'll replace it for free. I did this last year with my sisters white macbook in an Apple store and the Genius swapped it out for a new one no questions asked (he just checked the cycle count and serial number for date of purchase). Good luck :)

7. Stngray macrumors member

I took my two year 1 month old macbook in yesterday, no applecare, and got a new battery and keyboard/top for no cost. So its worth a shot going in even if your applecare has expired.

8. Nintendolinky thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the comments, I have just had the whole case apart from the lid replaced due to the cracking issue, on the trackpad area and the hinge. Im becoming a bit of a regular in the Apple store :) Im in the UK, and the Macbook is still in warranty do they the phone support put the charge on your account.

9. She macrumors member

reposted from the Macbook Battery Recall thread:

"Got a free replacement today. The battery capacity dropped from 33% last week to just 19% today - well & truly dying. Brought it into the Apple store & showed the Genius Bar guy the Coconut Battery stats, he plugged in an old ipod nano which had a Battery Test, ran that and sure enough the battery was bad. Filled out some paperwork, he switched out the batteries and we were on our way.

Oh and he asked if we had Apple Care (we did) but I'm pretty sure this recall didn't come under it "

This is for our 2 year old black Macbook which had roughly 135 charge cycles on it.

10. eman macrumors 6502a

Apple will replace macbook batteries up to two years without applecare, through an extended warranty program. You can find if you qualify here.