Battery issue, help me guys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freebiscuits, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Freebiscuits macrumors newbie

My mac is telling me to service my battery. What i need you to tell me is if i really need it, or are they just trying to get my money

here is my info:

Model Information:

Cell Revision: 165
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 2911
    Fully Charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4536
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 404
    Condition: Service Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1044
    Voltage (mV): 11364

Let me know if this is bad, particularly the "-1044 amperage" :confused:

GO

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You don't have to change it!
    The - amperage is just the current energy consumption of your laptop.

Now, the reason I had the text is because my battery also wants to be serviced since a few weeks. In my case, the problem is that the battery does estimate it's remaining charge wrong. Calibrating didn't help. About a month ago it had 80% of it's original capacity, which I thought was pretty good for a 3.5 years old battery. Now it's down to below 70%, but the problem is that it actually has only about 50% left. On a few occasions the laptop would shutdown although it showed 40 minutes left. And that's the hard shutdown, not the one where it goes to sleep and restores everything after you reconnect it.

TL;DR:
    If you have to rely on your battery, I would get it exchanged. If you mostly work near a charger, you don't have to do anything. It won't explode.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I hadn't used my 2007 MBP in a while. It already had a new battery at some point, but the dormancy appears to have left my battery in this 'service' state.

It's actually working alright and for a while after calibrating the service message disappeared. Then one night I was using it and the remaining battery just plummeted and then the laptop cut out. Ever since I've got the service battery warning again, but it's also reporting the time left a little more realistically at about 2 hours.

Basically it seems to mean that power delivery is unstable. For use around the house it's fine and I won't be changing my battery, but if this was a machine I needed to take out and about I'd be looking for a new one.

I'm on it now, probably been on battery for about 45 minutes, and it's saying 81% and 3h11 remaining. There's no way that's right... it was saying 2h when I took it off charge and that's far more in line with what I'm actually getting.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might try resetting the SMC, then re-calibrating using the procedure outlined in the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Ok, I will give it a try. I don't expect the battery to improve, but it should at least give me a better estimate of the remaining time, not shutdown without warning. Thanks.