Battery issue MacBook Pro first generation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sicutz, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Sicutz macrumors member

Hey guy,

my dad got a MacBookPro2,2 from his work for free, it´s the 2.16GHz model.

But he got some battery issues. The frist battery was dead, so he bought a new one on ebay after he got the macbook, but if he uses the macbook without the power cable, the battery dies after 30minutes.

He only runs safari/firefox or maybe iTunes, nothing special.

He don´t bought a origional Apple battery, you can see the battery here:

[​IMG]

So my questions are, is the battery out of order? Or is there a problem with the communication between a non origional battery and the macbook?

Or is the macbook broken? Like the connections between the battery and the macbook or something like that?

Hope you can help me!

Greetings

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Install Coconut Battery and post the results.
    It is a free utility that checks the health of the battery.

Barney

3. Sicutz thread starter macrumors member

Result: http://epvpimg.com/TK3Vg

It looks like a defect battery, BUT I read an article, that apple don´t want you to buy non apple products for your mac (charger/battery), and the computer notice, that you don´t use apple battery, so the battery don´t work correctly.

So the battery isn´t out of order, the battery just don´t work with the macbook, because apple don´t want it.

4. Sicutz thread starter macrumors member

You cant help me?

5. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

your dad presumedly paid a lot less for that battery compared to Apple's. have you wondered what caused the price discrepancy? Quality. Apple charges you more because (A) they have done extensive testing of their hardware (B) they offer a 1-year warranty on their products.

My advice is either to buy a certified battery or come to terms with the fact that you will have to use the laptop plugged into AC

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

He is trying to. Coconut Battery will tell you the health of the replacement battery. I think this battery is just trash due to the low cost to build. Try getting a better 3rd party battery or better yet an Apple one and the problems should go away.

The nature of your problem doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the computer but rather the battery itself.

7. Sicutz thread starter macrumors member

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Are you ordering a new one?

9. GoSUV macrumors member

If you are referring to the original MacBook Pro with the silver keyboard, then yes, the original battery or any subsequent genuine replacement ones from Apple are very short lived.

In the beginning few months the battery will last between 2-3 hours on a full charge, but after the 1-year warranty is over, the battery life will go rapidly downhill from there, lasting no more than half an hour after a full charge. I am still using my 7-year-old MacBook Pro, but now have to be practically plugged in all the time, as it will last only a few minutes before it shuts itself down if unplugged. My iStat report shows that the battery health is now a ridiculous 5% or something.

Over the years I have replaced the battery twice, each time with genuine Apple replacement ones. I also tried to exercise the battery regularly to keep it healthy, but each time it won't last more than 1.5 years without its capacity plunging to unusable longevity. I gave up on replacing the battery now and just keep using the MBP for as long as it lives.

10. Sicutz thread starter macrumors member

We don´t buy a new one.

It´s bad luck, we need to live with it.

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

As above the pre-Unibody MBPs just kill batteries in a short period in my experience. Most likely due to the heat the machine produces. I went through one a year in my MBP 1,1, none lasted more than 200 cycles.

That battery is duff - it's running at 22% of original capacity, so there's a dead cell in there. Genuine Apple batteries have a longer lifespan than the cheap knock-offs, but not much.

Later machines are much better. My 2011 has nearly a thousand cycles on the battery and it's at well over 90% of the original capacity. Shame the graphics chips don't outlast the battery!