Battery issue on old macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by redryder, Nov 18, 2011.

1. redryder macrumors member

Hi,

I'm using the first gen aluminium macbook. When I click on the battery indicator it says to "service battery". I then installed coconut battery to check and these are my results.

Age of Mac - 31 mths
    Battery Load Cycles - 58
    Battery Capacity 31%

The macbook has been 99% used at home plugged into the AC, hence the low number of load cycles. Should my battery capacity be that bad? Do I need to get a replacement battery or just carry on using it plugged into the AC? I'm worried that the battery may destroy the macbook somehow if I don't replace it.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Based on the way you used it, yes. It's not recommended to run on AC power all the time. Batteries need to be exercised to stay healthy.
    It won't destroy your MacBook, but it will eventually die and you may not be able to run, even on AC. It's better to replace it and treat the new battery properly. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

Yes, batteries are designed to be used. Like he said it won't destroy your Macbook, but they are designed to run with a battery so the battery shoudl be exercised often. I'd suggest if you don't want a laptop next time get a desktop that way you won't have to worry about the battery issue