Battery issue: try to get Apple replacement or third party?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wangchunggti337, Apr 26, 2010.

1. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

I have a 2006 MacBook, 1.83ghz. The battery is swelling and is now completely useless as the metal connectors no longer touch due to the bulge. I know this is a bad sign so I took the battery out and don't plan on using it anymore. This is past the 3 years that Apple warrants the battery, I believe. Anything I could do to get a new one from Apple sans cost?

If I were to buy a replacement, should I buy Apple branded or third party? Do they make batteries that last longer than the stock Apple ones?

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple won't replace it, and you should only buy an Apple battery.

3. chill. macrumors 6502

had the same issue, i went to the apple store to get my battery looked at. they offered a replacement battery for $100 with a 1-year warranty. looking online, i see macbook batteries selling for around $60.

in my opinion, it is not worth the price difference

4. Xenophon macrumors regular

3 years? Where? Last time I checked it was 12 months if the battery's installed in a laptop you buy new and 90 days if you buy it separately. Setting that aside, you've had your mac since 2006 on a single battery? I'd kill for that! My 2009 alu macbook's battery broke after 13 months and at the authorized reseller they told me that 1) it was out of warranty and 2) even had it still been under warranty, they consider batteries as consumables and don't cover them beyond 90 days. :eek: Total shock :confused:

Anyway, I bought a replacement from Apple when I was out of India on business (in Delhi it would have cost me 205 USD). Unpalatable as their price may be, I'd get a new one from Apple, as the previous poster said, the price difference is not worth the risk to your machine.

5. GCY macrumors regular

will apple replace a defective 2006 macbook battery now?:eek: My battery last ~10 minutes but it shuts off when its at 70%-40%. It doesn't go all the way down like its suppose to.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Almost certainly not.

7. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

How can it be defective if it lasted 4 years???

8. GCY macrumors regular

I don't use it that often. I think the battery has like 400 cycles according to coconut battery and still with very high charging capacity.

9. MacMan86 macrumors 6502

That could be your problem…

It's not 'defective', it's consumed. Batteries should last to 300 cycles/around 2-3 years.

10. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I've had nothing but bad experiences w/ non-Apple batteries....