Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
So I got my watch this morning and when I booted it up it was over 80% charged. I played around with it a lot, setting things up and testing out the features. The battery was at 63% and I decided to test out the charger while I went and showered. I showered for about 15 minutes and when I got out the battery had dropped to 60%. I left it on the charger, finished getting ready, made a phone call on my iPhone and avoided touching the watch at all in order to let it charge some more. It's been over an hour now since I initially started charging it before my shower and I just took it off the charger at 58%.

Why is the battery dropping while it's on the charger? The watch is really warm and so is the charger. The watch shows charging on the screen when I connected it.

Anyone try charging theirs yet?

Last edited:

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
So I got my watch this morning and when I booted it up it was over 80% charged. I played around with it a lot, setting things up and testing out the features. The battery was at 63% and I decided to test out the charger while I went and showered. I showered for about 15 minutes and when I got out the battery had dropped to 60%. I left it on the charger, finished getting ready, made a phone call on my iPhone and avoided touching the watch at all in order to let it charge some more. It's been over an hour now since I initially started charging it before my shower and I just took it off the charger at 58%.

Why is the battery dropping while it's on the charger? The watch is really warm and so is the charger. The watch shows charging on the screen when I connected it.

Anyone try charging theirs yet?

Sounds very odd, my charger works just fine.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
No my phone was on the charger next to the watch on its charger. As far as I know it wasn't syncing. I'm out running errands now and at 54%. When I get home I'm going to try a force restart and then put it back on the charger and see how that goes. If not I'll be calling Apple support before the night is through.

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
My watch has been doing the same thing!! I actually just switched over to the extra charging cable (metal) I bought and all of a sudden the charge is working as expected. I'm starting to think that the base sport "plastic" charger is defective

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
I mentioned this in another thread and idk if it would make a difference but I noticed the charging paddle has a thin film on it that should be removed. I barely noticed it on mine. maybe thats effecting the charging ability?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I mentioned this in another thread and idk if it would make a difference but I noticed the charging paddle has a thin film on it that should be removed. I barely noticed it on mine. maybe thats effecting the charging ability?

It definitely could!

There isn't a film on the back of the watch as well, is there?

cmlewis95

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
I could be wrong but I don't think that the film would make a difference as it is inductive and therefore "wireless" in a sense. It uses the qi standard

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
just a idea, as I could barely see the film there. magnet seemed weaker then it should is why even looked.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I did remove the film before charging. I'm wondering if maybe it's an app running high in the background or if the charger is defective. It seemed to drop faster on the charger than it has since I have been out and using it.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
A hard reset would be a good idea.

Keep in mind, it should take about 3 hours (per the earlier reviews) to charge from dead to full. 15 minutes isn't going to do a lot (but, it should be increasing, not the other way around).

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
A hard reset would be a good idea.

Keep in mind, it should take about 3 hours (per the earlier reviews) to charge from dead to full. 15 minutes isn't going to do a lot (but, it should be increasing, not the other way around).

Ya I just got home and did a hard reset. It's at 51% now so I put it on the charger in another room so I'm not tempted to touch it. Going to leave it for at least half an hour and see if its going up or down.

I usually put my iPhone on the charger when I'm in the shower and even though I know it's not going to get to to 100% in 15 minutes, I like to give it a little boost seeing as I'm not using it then anyways.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
You can't possibly be claiming something about the battery (good or bad) with less than 24 hours use. The "information" here is bunk.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'd suggest using it a few days (meaning let the battery charge and recharge a few times) before getting it looked at.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Is your charger plugged in?
Yes, it buzzed when I plugged it in and showed charging on the screen.

You can't possibly be claiming something about the battery (good or bad) with less than 24 hours use. The "information" here is bunk.

It's not "bunk". There is obviously something causing it to loose charge while its plugged into the charger. Whether it is the battery, the charger, or simply an app running crazy in the background, I don't know. That is what I'm trying to figure out in this thread.

I'd suggest using it a few days (meaning let the battery charge and recharge a few times) before getting it looked at.

The problem is that so far I haven't been able to get it to charge. The screen says charging but the percentage keeps going down. Hopefully the hard reset will fix it.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I just checked my watch after a half hour on the charger and its now at 83% (up from 51%). So for anyone else having this issue it looks like it can be resolved by doing a hard reset (pressing and holding both the digital crown and side button until the Apple logo appears).

I'm breathing a sigh of relief for sure. Back to playing with my watch :D

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Yes, it buzzed when I plugged it in and showed charging on the screen.

It's not "bunk". There is obviously something causing it to loose charge while its plugged into the charger. Whether it is the battery, the charger, or simply an app running crazy in the background, I don't know. That is what I'm trying to figure out in this thread.

The problem is that so far I haven't been able to get it to charge. The screen says charging but the percentage keeps going down. Hopefully the hard reset will fix it.

If it STILL isn't charging after having rebooted it, I'd say you may want to do a factory reset on it (i.e. nuke your configuration) - it means you'd have to sync it again afterwards, but it'll eliminate the potential that there's something in your configuration that's causing the issue.

or...you call Apple support. (who may get you to do the same thing) :) Not sure what diagnostic tools they have - maybe something in one of the iTunes updates.

...and you'll want to try another charger. Know anyone else that has received one today?

Fidget77

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Mine has a bad brick. I plugged it in last night, but didn't get any sort of buzz or icon to show that it was charging. When I got up this morning, battery level was lower than last night. I plugged the USB cable into my usb clock that I normally use to charge my phone. It dinged and showed the green lightning bolt at the top of the screen. Fully charged now :D

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Supposedly there's a plastic film on the charging end you need to remove. Did you do that? (otherwise, it may be acting as an insulator).
Its not a physical connection its inductive, a plastic film should have no effect.

Fidget77

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Mine has a bad brick. I plugged it in last night, but didn't get any sort of buzz or icon to show that it was charging. When I got up this morning, battery level was lower than last night. I plugged the USB cable into my usb clock that I normally use to charge my phone. It dinged and showed the green lightning bolt at the top of the screen. Fully charged now :D

Turned out to be user error. I reseated the usb cable and it charges fine now ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.