Battery Issues and Location Services?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Swagnificent, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Swagnificent macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is it me or does the iPhone 4S battery going down 1% every 90 seconds while in use?

Another problem I'm having is after waking up and my phone showing 100% charge, as soon as I unplug it it immediately shoots down to 97%.

My location icon right next to the battery percentage is ALWAYS on even if I have no apps running in the background. Is this normal?

Will the battery get better as time goes on or do you think I have a messed up iPhone?

2. Swagnificent thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm down to 90% after using it for 20 minutes and that's just browsing the web and texting. Also I have my brightness turned down to around 35%.

I'm hoping that the battery hasn't hit full capacity yet and just needs to be used/fully charged a few times before it hits full.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I've had mine unplugged since about 7:30am (it's 12:30pm here now), so it's been 5 hours. My battery is at 94%. I've checked email, done a bit of web browsing and sent some iMessages for 24 minutes of usage and 4 hours, 29 minutes of standby time. I used it much more over the weekend, but the battery life on mine has seemed fine. It's possible that the calibration is off, and that it might get better over time. There's a ton of threads about this...check some of them out and what they recommend to try.

The location icon shouldn't be there constantly. Are you positive there's no apps running? Do you have any location-based reminders set or anything like that?

4. Swagnificent thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I calibrate my battery? Let it run all the way down and then recharge it to 100%?

Also, I'm sure I don't have any location based reminders, I don't even know how to set those up. Do you think it's always on because I have Find My Friends?

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You can try running it down all the way and then charging it up again to see if that helps.

I don't have Find My Friends, so I can't say if that's what's causing your location indicator to be on or not. But I know that whenever I'm using an app that uses the GPS, it does drain the battery a lot faster. Can you try turning it off to see if it helps slow the battery drain?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Look in your location setting and any app that has used the GPS in the last day will be grey. An app currently using it will be purple. This will help you figure out which app it is.

7. fifi77 macrumors regular

It's probably this:

Location Services > System Services > Setting Time Zone

By default, it's permanently set to ON which uses GPS constantly. Switch it off & you should see an improvement.

8. 7timethecrystal macrumors regular

7timethecrystal

Probably not anything, it's a battery lemon.

I've tried everything listed on this forum, from Siri, to Location Services, to erasing e-mails and resetting network services..all indendpendtly from each other hoping to see an improvement.

My wife's iPhone 4S has perfect battery usage. She can get the advertised 200-hr standby if extrapolated from a test I did overnight.

I am getting 12 hrs. Losing 8% per hour in standby. Her exact configuration loses .5% per hour.

9. f00f macrumors 65816

Hmm. Interesting.

As mentioned in the Batterygate thread I did a DFU reinstall of iOS on my phone last night. Set the phone up as new but configured it (painstakingly) the same as it was before the reinstall. In just under 5 hours time it lost 1%.

This morning on the way to work I used Siri very lightly and it dropped another 6%. It's baffling.

I'm intending to be on the phone with Apple shortly to report this. Very curious what kind of reports they've been getting on this problem.

10. 7timethecrystal macrumors regular

7timethecrystal

I seem sorta the same behavior out of mine. After doing the restore, my phone stayed at 100% for 20 minutes on standby. I went to bed thinking, "Aha, the restore worked". Then, to see it drain 33% in 4.5 hours shot that idea down. It almost certainly has to be a hardware issue.