Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Ok I have no idea what to do atm, I might call consummer protection or w/e.

I bought my Iphone 6S on September 25 2015, (unlocked) Started to have battery issues around September 20 2016, (was on 9.3.3 JB). Issue was that Iphone was draining battery too fast. Took my Iphone to an apple store before warranty wore off. After the tests the person said my issue was software wise and not hardware wise and that I had to Factory reset my Iphone to IOS 10 and reinstall everything manaully (I had a backup but she asked me to not restore the backup because the problem would come back).

So i go back home, take notes of all my settings and apps and did what she asked me. So i factory restored to IOS 10 and reinstalled everything. My Battery consummation seemed fixed and i was semi happy (sad that I lost my JB)

Starting last week (think it was 10.0.2 at that time) Started to get another problem. When my Iphone reaches 33% or less, it Often (not always) but often crashes. Aka the phone closes down. But it only happens if i touch the phone. Like open an app, make a call read my emails w/e. So the Phone closes down and doesn't reboot by itself. When i reopen my phone, sometimes it boots sometimes it shows the plug the cable to a power source screen, but after that it boot. But 99% of the time if it crashes, it will almost always crash again when i open an app.

The issue i have is to charge my iphone and it will work well again until it hits 30ish % where the problem might come back.

Called back apple went back to an apple store, and refuse to help me cuz my warranty is over. In quebec we have something called (Legal Warranty) where we have a warranty that can exeed the 1year for 'normal use' aka it's not normal that if you normally use your phone it will crash after 1 year of utility.

My question, anyone else have this issue? (I'm kinda hoping this is a 10.0.2 issue) so i don't have to start a fight with Apple.

Thanks

Bacos

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
Did you pay with a credit card? I had a battery charging issue with a recently out of warranty iPad. My credit card had insurance doubled manufacturers warranty for up to an additional year. I got an estimate from Apple (for an out of warranty replacement) and submitted it, along with original purchase receipt, and they cut me a check.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Did you pay with a credit card? I had a battery charging issue with a recently out of warranty iPad. My credit card had insurance doubled manufacturers warranty for up to an additional year. I got an estimate from Apple (for an out of warranty replacement) and submitted it, along with original purchase receipt, and they cut me a check.

Mm it seems my BMO card does I'll check to be sure.

Do you know how long it is to change a battery? Cuz I need my iPhone for work and etc

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
When I got a new battery in my phone, it took an hour or two.

I hope this will work, last time they did test they said nothing was wrong hardware wise. Of course everything can change in 1 week

But are we sure it has nothing to do with iOS? I wanna go to Apple Store for them to tell me that it's another software issue

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
You say they have tested it and told you there is no problem with the hardware/battery, right? They actually have pretty good methods to check your battery health, so I'd assume it really is software related.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
You jail broke your phone. That voids the warranty. You took it to Apple as a JB phone. I am surprised they helped at all.

Don't say dumb stuff, JB doesnt void a warranty
[doublepost=1475582950][/doublepost]
You say they have tested it and told you there is no problem with the hardware/battery, right? They actually have pretty good methods to check your battery health, so I'd assume it really is software related.

That was 2 weeks ago, never know might have hardware issues that sprout out after?

ninjaplz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
I had the same issue you had with the battery. Apple told me that my battery was fine and it was the fault of the software. Luck was in my favor because the phone actually turned off when I was in the store so Apple gave me another phone right away.

PS I had applecare plus

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Sorry for the bump after more tests I had the issue today so went to the Apple Store and after 10 min of playing with it it finally crashed!

So even out of warranty I got a new free iPhone!

chanc

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
San Jose, CA
I am having exactly the same problem with my iPhone 6 Plus ! I just posted a new thread about this (didn't see this one).

I was also told battery is fine, do a clean install which I did but the issue is still there. Hoping I don't have to buy a new phone.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
I am having exactly the same problem with my iPhone 6 Plus ! I just posted a new thread about this (didn't see this one).

I was also told battery is fine, do a clean install which I did but the issue is still there. Hoping I don't have to buy a new phone.

Go to Apple Store and hope it crashes :)

Mine crashed mostly at 35% or less

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Thanks ! Today mine crashed at 50%. But once I plug it in, it jumped back to 50% and I was able to continue using it unplugged.

Until next crash, don't let it like that

It was almost ruining my time

I'm leaving for France on Thursday so I had to fix it

Mr_Killjoy

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
Your jailbreak was most likely the cause. It's a sloppy, brute force method, and leave the root OS exposed. You can restore, but unless you did a full DFU restore with a fresh IPSW, there still could have been remnant files, malware, etc. buried in there.

Good that it worked out, but really - if you're going to jailbreak, know the risks.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Your jailbreak was most likely the cause. It's a sloppy, brute force method, and leave the root OS exposed. You can restore, but unless you did a full DFU restore with a fresh IPSW, there still could have been remnant files, malware, etc. buried in there.

Good that it worked out, but really - if you're going to jailbreak, know the risks.

Jailbreak wasn't the issue. As I said in the past I did restore with a free ipsw and reinstalled all manually ( no backup restore) and the issue was still there battery drained fast and iPhone random,y closed

So it was a hardware issue.

People need to stop being scared of jailbreak lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.