Battery Issues and shutting off

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by higgalls, Aug 24, 2016.

1. higgalls macrumors regular

Hey,

I am not sure whether this is an iOS issue, or a hardware issue, but I have only noticed this happening since being on the public beta's of iOS 10.

Basically, sometimes my phone will just turn off, and when I go to turn it on, it will come up with he empty battery symbol. However, when I plug my phone in, within 10-15 seconds it will turn on, and I will notice that there is plenty of battery left. In fact, tonight it happened, and when it turned on, after only being plugged in for 15 seconds, it said I had 47% battery left.

There are some times that it manages to get down to 1% before it turns off, but that is more rare (normally I don't use my phone enough to get it that low anyway).

Is anyone else experiencing this issue with iOS 10? Is it likely to be iOS 10 or an issue with the battery/phone. I have the iPhone 6s.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Poontaco macrumors regular

It's the 6s, not iOS 10.
    Mine does it too. For me, it seemed worse on iOS 9 than iOS 10.

3. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think it is worth taking it back and getting them to replace it? It drives me a bit nuts. Last week actually it happened, and I was out walking, and after about 5 minutes of it being off (and obviously not plugged it), I held down the power button and it turned on (but turned off a few minutes later) - still with heaps of battery life.

4. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

That isn't normal. I would take it in for an exchange.

Just make sure you are running iOS 9 because they may not exchange it if you're running a beta.

5. Danny182 macrumors member

Same problem here! Shuts down at 33%
    And then if I turn it on again it shuts down after a few seconds.
    This happens sometimes.
    Other times it shuts down at 10%

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

iPhone 6s units are way too young to have any noticeable battery wear. Take it for an exchange.

7. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.
    How do you downgrade to iOS 9?

8. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Here's what I do on a regular basis:
    - every 4-6 weeks let your phone go down to as close as possible to 0 battery, then plug it in and let it fully charge to 100%
    - then on a daily basis I plug in whenever I have a chance
    - have not seen any issues on any of my devices this way

10. Poontaco, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016

Poontaco macrumors regular

I already tried.
    They did a diagnostic check on the battery and said it was running at 95% efficiency.
    The guy then told me the only way to fix it, was to restore the phone from scratch, and not use any back-ups.
    Starting fresh without a back-up is not an option for me. They basically told me to go **** myself.

11. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

My 6s Plus never exhibited this behavior on iOS 9.0 but at least once on the iOS 10 beta 6 I noted my phone was at 23% then it turned off and displayed the dead battery symbol, coming back on at 23% again once plugged in.

It's a software issue, probably not a problem with the battery.

12. DarkSorrow82 macrumors regular

DarkSorrow82

Plugging in your iPhone before it hits Low Battery Mode can diminish the battery performance so be careful. These are all charge cycles.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can plug your phone at any point to charge without noticeable detriment. In fact battery is better off being in the 20 - 80 % range.

14. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Low battery mode really has nothing to do with when you're supposed to plug in your phone. Modern batteries are better off not let to get all the way empty on a regular basis.

15. frenzal macrumors newbie

This is an issue that's been happening on my 6S since ios9.2 or 9.3 My battery also drains 50% or more overnight if I don't have it plugged in. It also does the random shutdown while there's still battery left. A quick jolt of power will turn it back on and let it use the remaining charge. I tried taking it to apple and staff said they had the same issue with their phone but they said to wait for a software fix....unhelpful to say the least.