Battery issues? Check here.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Benji222, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

I saw a bunch of people saying they have battery problems and I conducted a test. i stayed up late and when my phone was fully charged I unplugged it and left it overnight.
    The results were very surprising. I had lost 0% battery with:
    Activator, BiteSMS, Five Icon Dock, Five Icon SB, Infinifolders, Lockinfo, MobileTerminal, SSH, SBSettings, and Winterboard.
    I had 3g, Wifi, Data, and SSH left on and received a text and 4 emails.
    This is 1 day after a complete reset(not from backup). Running 4.01 for commcenter hack

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TaterToT macrumors 6502

Yep, I did the same test and had the same results as you, I guess we got good batteries.

3. GunBlazerX macrumors member

You are just being fooled by the os failing to update the real battery percentage. Reboot and watch your battery plummet to what it's suppose to be

4. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Not necessarily.

I've noticed on iDevices the jump from 100->99 takes longer than the rest of the increments. I've done the exact same test, and rebooted the phone, and the battery was still at 100%.

Of course in actuality it isn't exactly 100%, but the display meter was accurate since the reboot. And yes I calibrate my battery.

5. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

So how do we explain that I had 100% battery before bed. I had 3G off, wifi off, and push off. I had 2 emails when I woke up. My usage was at 30 min and I had 92% battery. I have BiteSMS, Shrink and SBsettings installed. I Don't understand how there could be such a huge spread. You having all your apps running and me having nothing running. Doesnt make any sense.

6. doc2142 macrumors member

Use accura, that will tell you a more accurate battery percentage.

7. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I agree with you about the 100 -> 99 jump but I've done the same test as you before and I noticed the battery drain much quicker than usual as I used it, and eventually it ended up being the same amount of usage.

8. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Yeah, you're right about the same usage. In my tests, the usage ends up differing between 5-10 minutes so I agree with you.

9. komugi macrumors newbie

What theme are you using btw? Looking for a theme to make the icons 'smaller'

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Download a program called "shrink" from cydia.

11. alpineflip macrumors newbie

@Benji222 what theme is that for winterboard and SBSettings? And for anyone that installed ultrasn0w a new update was pushed out 1.1.1 to address any battery drain issues can't speak for others that didn't install it and still had an issue

12. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I will try this again tonight, but my experiment last night:Fully charged before I went to sleep. Used SBSettings to turn off all processes other than mail and phone. Woke up this morning with 12 minutes of usage and 83% battery remaining. I received 14 emails and no texts overnight.

Needless to say, I'm not happy with that amount of battery loss in 8 hours when I haven't even touched the phone.

Going to run battery down today, fully charge and then re-run the test.

13. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

SBSettings theme is iNxoSB

14. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

As of now im at 95%, ive been texting and emailing a little.
    I think you guys installed something bad because my battery is still amazing.
    Pic:
    [​IMG]

15. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Jealous!

16. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

so youre saying to do a restore and not from a backup at all? What do you do with your notes and contacts?

17. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

I synced them all with iTunes, then synced them back.
    I lost all of my game info and SMS but I honestly didnt care if I could get my phone working better.

18. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

what do u mean synced them with itunes? you mean after you restored you used a previouis backup to regain all that?

19. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Can you please post your usage at 50% battery and then 20% if you happen to be using the phone during those times?

20. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

There are options via itunes to Sync your contacts calenders ect with programs liek outlook on your computer. Do that and then Sync it all back.

Sure, I will if I remember too.
    The Usage isnt very accurate. If you play games for 1 hour, its 1 hour of usage. If you listen to music for an hour it is also 1 hour of usage. Music takes 1/4th the battery that playing a game does.

Another problem is repringing with winterboard. if you dot hat you loose usage statistics.

21. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

you lose all your photos?

22. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

Yup,
    you can always put them in a folder and sync them back on. In my case all were on the computer and the really funny ones were on facebook if I ever needed them.
    I had about a gig of photos and was running out or room so it helped me in that aspect.

23. airmax-b3 macrumors newbie

My i4 battery sucks. My 3GS had definitly a better battery.

Did the test over night - received 6 E-Mails. Disabled all programms in the task manager. E-Mail Push is turned off - mails get checked hourly. I don't have the feeling that battery life got worse with JB though.

[​IMG]

24. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

25. tman07 macrumors regular

Alright, so im starting to get worried. I JUST got my iPhone 4 yesterday, jailbroke, and have the usual apps running. Granted, it was on the original factory charge, and i used the crap out of it (i mean, really? who wouldn't?). Lots of texts (bitesms), emails, downloading, and such. Didn't charge it over night and this is what i got today. I'm calibrating it now (via wall charger.. don't know if there is a difference between wall charger and usb port...) so hopefully we will be ok.

thoughts?

Attached Files: