battery issues maybe related to workout app?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lsh, Apr 5, 2016.

1. lsh macrumors 6502

Since the update, I've noticed issues with the watch running out of battery in the day. I've NEVER had this problem before.

One thing I noticed for a few days, the green walking guy is at the top of the watch even though I ended and saved my activity. I use it while working out on the treadmill. I can't get it to go away. When I open the app, it's normal - in the screen where you pick your activity.

What am I missing or what can I try?

2. lsh thread starter macrumors 6502

My battery life continues to be bad. I can't get thru the day without a charge. Before 2.2, I had battery life to spare each night. I'm using it the same.

Also, the green running man is showing up randomly although no fitness apps are running. I turn off/on the watch to make him go away. Is there any fitness app that might automatically start itself that I can look for?

Is there a way to know what apps might be draining battery?
    Is there some kind of reset that might help the battery?

Any help is appreciated.

3. nicho macrumors 68000

Tell us what third party fitness apps you have, that would be a start...

4. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Yeah, since the update I've had no issues and I use the native workout app a lot. Even used Strava instead one day.

5. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

I have never had great battery life. I can only get through the day if I charge the battery back up to 100% after my workout in the morning before I leave for work. on weekends, if I don't get a chance to recharge it again because I'm doing yardwork, housework, etc... i'll get the 10% power warning and then it ends up turning off on me!

I've had it turn off on my right before bed time even on days I do recharge it before work.

so ya..... not super pleased with the battery life.

6. lsh thread starter macrumors 6502

I use the included workout app with the matching green guy. I do have strava installed and used it a week ago for a bike ride.

I noticed that I have auto install on and many more apps have recently installed so I changed that thinking that could affect battery. I removed auto pairing - I have 1 watch.

I also just re-paired.

Still can't explain why the workout guy would randomly appear at the top of the face hours after ending and saving a workout. To get rid of him, I had to turn off/on the watch.

I'll go a few days and see how it works now. Since others are fine, maybe this will fix it.

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Since you reported that the "green running guy" is on at seemingly random times, my guess is that one of your fitness apps is either not turning off when you finish, or is turning on by itself. The latter is hard to imagine but I guess it is possible.

One solution to try is to turn off your fitness apps one at a time while keeping track of your battery life, this should point out which one is causing the problem.

Good luck!

8. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Is your watch a 38 or 42?

9. lsh thread starter macrumors 6502

My watch is a 38 Stainless.

I may have fixed it. I was thinking it was a fitness app issue but then realized that the battery was bad even yesterday without a workout. Following advice in other threads for bad batter, I unpaired and then re-paired as NEW (vs. from previous backup) and did NOT install added apps. I'll do that selectively as I need them.

Right away I noticed how much faster it is - night and day difference. And battery life without workouts is awesome - barely changes. With workout - low drain. And no unwanted workout guy appearing after the workout. So I guess after going thru a few updates, it needed a fresh start.

It is amazing how different is is from before... such a little thing. The only bummer about reconfig is that it has to recalibrate pace again. Everything else was pretty easy to re-do since most settings are on the iPhone.

Thanks for the help.

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Workout mode is very battery-intensive since it keeps the HR sensor active. When workout mode is off, the HR sensor only pops on periodically to capture rate then turns back off.

Even with a good number of apps installed, my watch's battery life is great, though I almost never use workout mode.

It's not uncommon that you'll have to top off the charge to get through the day if you've used workout mode for an hour or two. Without it, I can go 36-48 hrs before the watch dies. I rarely see mine below 40% at the end of a normal day (7am-midnight).

As for why it would come on automatically, that's very odd. Do you have a watchface complication that activates it that you might be hitting by accident?

11. eyedoc_00 macrumors regular

I have had poor battery life for the past month. I have turned off the watch and have un-paired the watch numerous times with no help. I was at the genuis bar yesterday and they ran diagnostics. Battery passed and no other problems. They suggested I un-pair it and repair as new not using a previous back up. Did that and today it still has poor battery life. I put my watch on at about 8:45 a.m. It is now 5:55 and I am at 10% battery life. I can not figure out why my battery is draining so fast. I used to go all day and even use the workout app and do 30 to 60 minutes of workout and never had a problem.

12. nicho macrumors 68000

First day battery life is usually worse while it does some background stuff. Worst thing you could do right now is unpair and repair again. Give it another day and see how it goes?

13. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

What does the usage look like if you open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone. It's under general. My bet is that you have several hours of usage and you will say "I haven't used it that much". Since you did all the rebooting and re-pairing, I am going to guess you have several hours of usage and a bad or run-away app on your watch. Remove all third party apps and reboot the watch and charge to full and see if you have the same battery problem. If that works, start adding third party apps back.

If your usage is small and the battery is at 10%, I don't know. :)

14. eyedoc_00 macrumors regular

For today, I put my watch on at 9:00am. It is now 3;17 pm and I am at 39%. Checking the usage on the app, it says 34 minutes. What does that tell you?

15. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Tells me something isn't right. Mine went on at 8 or so this AM? 50% left. Usage 2 hrs 59 min., Standby 12 hours 1 min. I also used it to record a 1 hour dog walk before dinner. Mine is a 42 btw.

I don't recall but is you watch OS up to date?

16. eyedoc_00 macrumors regular

Yes, up to date. I was just at the apple store on Tuesday and the genius bar did a status check and it said battery was good. He recommended I re-set it up as new and not pair from an old backup. I did that. Still crappy battery life. I am not using it for anything other than getting text message notifications and Facebook notifications. Several months ago, I would be able to use it all day with no problems. I would even use the workout app at lunch when I would go for a 20 minute walk. I just removed all 3 rd party apps and will check it again tomorrow.

17. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Wow - doesn't tell me anything good. Def doesn't sound like a bad app. Since you did all the booting and pairing and such, nothing makes sense but a bad battery. I suppose something wrong with Bluetooth is just a long shot. Usage is the key really and yours doesn't have usage to drain the battery. Something else is or the battery is just bad even though Apple says it is good.

18. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

That sounds very weird, did you ever figure it out? Not sure if it matters but just as a point of reference my watch has been on since about 8:30 this morning and it is 5:00 in the evening and I'm at 79%. Usage is 1 hour 14 minutes, standby 8 hours 9 minutes. Now I am leaving work so my usage will go up but still, I have no problems with my battery life. It really sounds like there is an issue with your watch, I'd head back to the Genius Bar and get them to listen. I mean, heck, they can look at the app and clearly see what has been used, it's not rocket science!