Battery issues on Blackbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bee.squared, Jun 25, 2009.

1. bee.squared macrumors newbie

Being a mac lover, a poor college student, and a raging geek, I was recently looking for a new mac and decided to check Ebay for low priced, easily repaired as-is items.

I found a very nice, lightly used black mackbook (core 2 duo) that had been upgraded with a 320GB HDD, maxed out RAM, etc... It was going for a low price because the description said it would not work without being plugged in. It also was under apple care. I got it for a little under 600$ and, as soon as it came in, used the ifixit guides to pop it apart and begin tinkering.

Now, I'm used to working on PCs, so if I'm wrong with some of the terminology, please forgive me -- I did the best I could with the ifixit guides and patience...

There was evidence that something had been spilled on it -- a few keys were sticky -- which was easily fixed. The case is missing a few screws which, again, was easily fixed thanks to ifixit.

The best I can tell, there appears to be a problem with the battery connector cable (thick black cable/cable bundle running in the slot between the case and the battery leads/battery seat). If I open the laptop and push that down good and tight in that groove, the laptop charges and runs like a champ and shows exceptional battery life... if the laptop gets enough of a jar -- as in, getting sat down too hard on the table -- the battery gets a black X through it and again, it will not work unless plugged in.

I sent the thing off to apple, but once they saw there was liquid damage they told me it would be 700$ to fix it because the liquid damage nullified the apple care... I couldn't see spending 700$ on a computer I only paid 600$ for so told them to ship it back, I'd make due.

Now, it's not so hard to crack the thing open and niggle that cable every now and then, but to be honest I'd like to have a laptop I DONT have to crack open so often at all.

I guess what I'm looking for is some advice from someone who's maybe had this problem, and/or knows the best way to fix it? Is it possible to just buy a new battery connector and install it, or would it require replacement of the entire logic board?

(I've included a pic that shows the cable/bundle I'm talking about... running just under the hand to the batter leads...ignore the yellow box, I didn't put it there!)

Attached Files:

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Sounds as if the cables are broken inside the wiring loom.

Easily fixed - you will get a new Black battery connector on eBay for about $15 - if you have a 2GHz MacBook then you will need the "non-Energy Star" model.

The connector is easily changed although the screws connecting the board in the battery bay are usually very tight and you need to wedge something behind it to get the screws out......

3. bee.squared thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply and the advice! I'll give it a shot!

4. lucamacis macrumors member

I'm very curious to see if that worked. I don't have that problem but im interested. Please post back here and let us know how you got on...

5. bee.squared thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the part hasn't arrived yet, but I did open the case and place a small wad of paper (ghetto fix, hah) between the backside of the battery connector - where the contacts are - and the computer case... When I put the case back together, the battery worked/charged perfectly, so I'm confident that the new part will fix my problem.