Battery Issues with Lion - Still Unresolved?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tamvly, Apr 10, 2012.

1. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I did a search on the battery issues with the install of Lion and haven't found much lately that is useful. I haven't seen much in the press about it for some time.

I am thinking about installing Lion on my 2011 MPB 13. Is this issue still outstanding or has there been a definitive fix?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What battery issues are you talking about? This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. tamvly thread starter macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Thanks GGJ, but I was referring to the precipitous drop in battery life that many (most?) users experienced when upgrading Macbook Pros from 10.6 to 10.7.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life to a far greater degree than which OS version is installed. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the Battery FAQ for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life. Make special note of the last bullet point there, which addresses the upgrade to Lion.

5. tamvly thread starter macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I know you are trying to be helpful, GGJ, but I am referring to the battery longevity characteristics of folks who migrated to Lion and, with no other changes (they didn't change what they did or how they did it), experienced significant battery life degradation. I've read posts where folks would get 6-7 hours pre-Lion and about half that after installing Lion.

While you are certainly correct that there are good things to do for battery management and bad things to do, the characteristics of the operating system are beyond the control of the individual user.

Your FAQ, as helpful as it is, does not directly address the issue I asked about. And as far as I can tell (after a quick scan), your FAQ says nothing about Lion at all.

So I'll submit my question to others in the ether, wondering if post Lion battery issues have been addressed by Apple, or not.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the last bullet point in that section that I mentioned, that deals directly with upgrading to Lion?

7. tamvly thread starter macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Sorry, I just noticed it. Doesn't seem to jive with the anectdotes from multiple sources. So I am wary.

Not a big issue as I also dread the Lion user interface changes. Perhaps I am looking for another excuse to stay with SL, which suits me fine.

8. dreamtenstudios macrumors member

I personally noticed a marginal increase in battery life when I upgraded to Lion.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's my preference, as well. I'm in no rush to move to Lion or ML.

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I experienced a loss of roughly 2-3 hours of battery life when I upgraded to Lion. It hasn't been rectified.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

12. tamvly thread starter macrumors 6502a

tamvly

This is crazy - one person mentions a big loss in battery life (I've seen many of these), another says about the same. There seems to be something going on here.

I suspect no one knows but Apple.

13. bozz2006, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Yep, kinda sucks.

Edit: thought I'd add that I also have an early 2011 15" MBP.

14. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I lost 1-2h of battery life when upgrading to Lion, I have an early 11 15" MBP.

I used to get 7-8h in SL, I get 6h in Lion. I'm not sure what causes it but scrolling makes my "WindowServer" process in Lion spike up to 30%. Definitely not an issue in SL. It is not uncommon and there are plenty of complaints on the official support forum with no solution.