Battery issues with the new ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by crewmeal, Mar 21, 2012.

1. crewmeal macrumors newbie

Apart from overheating does anyone have a problem with battery drainage? Compared with the ipad1. I find I have to charge the new one up every day instead of every 3-4 days. The usage is still the same as before. I hope I don't have to take it back because I think it's an awesome piece of kit.

2. johnc22 macrumors 6502

My use is general web surfing and I'm finding the battery life to be much better than my iPad 2. This may be due to using lower screen brightness but I'm not sure.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Nope, my battery usage remains roughly the same with the same type of usage, Battery charging takes twice as long though,,, 2 cycles in and I just charge at night.

4. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

I've found that with normal usage, I've only had to charge once since I got it Friday night. It arrived with 70% charged and I operate at probably 80% brightness using Wi-Fi only. It took around 5 hours to charge from 0% to full power while not in use. At the moment I'm down to 88%. From what I've heard, you shouldn't need to charge every night, especially since you got 3-4 days out of your iPad 2 with the same usage. If I were you, I'd take it to the Apple store and ask…but I'm also paranoid and like to make sure I'm getting the most out of my devices, especially since the iPad is so pricey.

5. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Double check your settings for anything running in the background. If your not getting a full 9-10 hours with it on wifi only and 50% or under brightness you might need to have it looked at.

6. larmonkm macrumors member

the ipad i returned today had problems with overheating and battery drainage. i returned it because of the uneven tint, though. because of the screen, i had to have the brightness turned up much higher than i ever had to on my ipad2.

the new one i got today has excellent battery life. no overheating. lovely screen.

7. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Can you explain the battery drainage? I don't get it. And how it compares to the one you have now.

8. larmonkm macrumors member

i have had the ipad 1, ipad 2, and now the new one. the first of the new ones drained much faster than i thought it should, considering i was not doing anything other than reading and playing light games. i was used to the percentage going down slowly on the ipad 2. i'm sure that the fact that i had to have the brightness higher than normal contributed to that as well. however, i did have times when i needed the brightness higher on my ipad 2, and it didn't drain as quickly as the problematic one.

the one i got to replace it has had the same type/amount of usage and it is holding the charge just as my ipad 2 did.

i'm sorry...i'm horrible with the technical aspect of all this. i obviously didn't time anything or chart it, but i know from previous usage that the one i returned today was just not performing as i know i should have.

it's likely that i just happened to get a product that had more faults than normal and none of them were related. it's the first time in more than 14 apple devices that i've returned/exchanged one.

9. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The only thing I'm using it for is, browsing, Netflix, and streaming radio. Nothing CPU intensive, I hope.

10. so-marc-said macrumors newbie

so-marc-said

I notice this too.

I have mine set to full brightness, like I did with my iPad 2. Since taking off charge and only using safari & twitter for around ten minutes it's down to 96%

Feels like it goes down a lot quicker than the iPad 2 did. Think this is normal? Just makes it a bit useless if you have to charge it all the time!

11. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Here are a few hints for improving battery life:

Turn mail settings to Manual.
    Turn off location based iAds & other system location services you may not find a use for

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't think you mean overheating, but rather it has more heat than previous models. All due to the increased battery size, faster CPU, added RAM and quad-core graphics as well as the much higher resolution display.

All play a part in the generation of heat which is a part of the laws of physics. More power (energy) being consumed = more heat dissipation.

Likewise for all of the above, it will also cause the battery to drain down faster.

There has to be a trade-off somewhere to get all the extra power and retina display on it.

13. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I've not noticed any change in battery usage from my iPad 1 to 2 to 3. The only thing I've seen is what has been reported already: the 3 takes a lot longer to charge than the previous iPads. It's certainly warmer, too. It was surprising the first time I noticed it but haven't really concerned myself with it. Even when playing IB2.

14. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Ran my ipad down to 0% last night at around 9:40 pm and stuck it on the charger. Set my iphone clock stop watch app to run to see roughly how long it takes to charge. Woke up this morning at around 4:36 am and checked my ipad 3 and it was fully charged to 100%. I stopped the stopwatch at 6 hrs 51 mins. So not sure exactly how long it took to charge since I didn't wake up to keep checking it but it will charge to 100% in less than 7 hrs based on my test.

I usually charge my ipad and iphone each night so it is read for the next day.

Just to run it down to 0% percent though I had to use the Splashtop remote app which always drains the battery quicker, screen at 100% (I usually keep it at 50% since higher hurts my eyes), and have blutooth on and also streamed a movie through Airvideo at 2048 kbit/s live conversion over WiFi. I started at at around 47% last night when I got home from work around 5:20 pm. With the screen at full brightness and using it for an extended time the back of the ipad did become a bit warm if you feel it in the bottom left corner/side when holding it in protrait. However, when I run it at 50% brightness like I normally do for extended periods of time, I have no heating up issue. It stays the same temperature (or atleast feels like it) as when it is off. So the only thing different that I did last night from any other night while owning the iPad 3 was run it at full brightness, so I am going with that is the culprit with the warming up issue for people.

Oh, BTW, the charger I used was http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...de=MTc0MjU4NjA from the apple store. Should be the same wattage as the one that comes with the iPad.

Edit: Just surfed these forums and a bunch of others and watched an 40 min TV show (downloaded to my ipad from iTunes this morning) from 04:36 to 06:55 am and and dropped 11% in battery power.

15. ZipZap macrumors 601

A friend used his new ipad for a while before restoring from a backup. His battery life was good until he restored.

I did not restore.

My unit has been on and since yesterday. I am down to: 93%

I turned off all system location services except for the first 2 in the list.

16. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

running it at full brightness is sure to drain the battery faster. as for comparing battery runtime to the ipad2, were you running the ipad2 at 100% too?

17. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It is just a matter of perception. Sure there are defective units but what we are seeing in these forums contains a lot of panic and paranoia. We are all paying an extra $100 for our iPads because of the high return rate.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

I don't see why this is a surprise to anyone.

Increase the battery by 40% or whatever it is while retaining about the same battery life. Kind of a no-brainer to figure out dissipating 40% more energy in the same timeframe is probably going to make the device warmer.

(@SandboxGeneral: just leveraging your statement for adding my $0.02, you clearly "get it")

19. LanEvo macrumors 6502

That's true, I am paying an extra $50 bc there are open box returns marked down at BB but I don't wanna risk getting a worse unit compared to my near perfect one.