Battery Issues

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dryshot, Nov 16, 2007.

1. dryshot macrumors newbie

I recently purchased an iPod Classic. I have heard of battery problems with iPods recently and cannot determine if mine is working properly. I have had my iPod fully charged and not used for about a day. When I plug it into my computer it is dead and needs to take a charge before I can use iTunes to sync new music to it. In my eyes it should not drain to a low level for weeks with no use. Am I correct in assuming this?

Also, today it was fully charged when I left my vehicle after coming home from work. (I have a car charger). Now, just three hours later I turned it on and the battery meter is almost dead. Why the quick battery drain? Is my battery faulty or how can I determine if it is?

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Ok, #1: If you are worried about battery life, stop using a car charger. I don't know of anything that shortens battery life like charging it over one of those things.

You iPod will continue to use battery power if you don't turn it off. Are you just letting it sleep or actually turning it off by pressing and holding the play button until the screen goes dark? After turning it off, you should also slide the Hold button to its on position.

3. Invasion macrumors newbie

Yes that happens to all ipod classics. It is a bug that keeps the hard drive spinning when it is off. To fix it just use the hold switch.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

It's not a bug, its the way it's designed. Read the instruction book. It doesn't shut all the way down so you can resume the song/playlist/whatever immediately and so that you don't have to wait for the startup process.

5. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I've never had any of these problems with my Classic.