battery jumping from 85% to 0% instantly...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by llee87, Mar 5, 2010.

1. llee87 macrumors newbie

I have a 5-year-old PowerBook G4. I remember I changed the battery about a year or two ago, because when I used to take it to classes in college, and use it unplugged, my laptop would shut off in less than an hour (more like ~30 min) when it reaches ~30%. After I got a new battery, it went back to normal, and lasted much longer.

In the past couple of days, I noticed that within about 5-10 minutes of using my PB unplugged, battery goes from 100% --> ~85%, and then all of a sudden shuts down. When I plug it back in to a power supply, and it starts back up, it starts recharging from 0%... this seems a little extreme :-/

I haven't noticed this problem because I almost have it plugged in these days, as I usually use it at home or at work where I have a power supply available, and I use it for a few hour period at a time. Does this seem purely like a battery problem?! (ie. it's just time for a new battery...)

2. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

looks like a weak battery...i think its time to change it :eek:

ps-where did you replace the battery from last year?

3. Pax macrumors 6502a

Almost certainly a dead battery

(this works on Intel Macs, not sure about PPC, but worth a try...)
    Try About This Mac > More Info > Power
    Under "battery condition" it should say "normal". If it says "check battery" that's a euphemism "for your battery is toast"

Like previous poster, who made the battery? was it Apple branded? How many years did you have it? It should last longer than that unless you really hammered it.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You have a dead cell inside your battery replace it.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I had something similar happening, though not as dramatic. As others have stated, you need a new battery.

6. simonshek macrumors member

7. llee87 thread starter macrumors newbie

aww sad :( i bought it from my university's computing service store 2 years ago (now i remember).

i do have a PPC and can't seem to find where it says "battery condition" (though i went to the "power" tab under "more info" "about this mac"). hmph.

sigh, is it typical to have to replace batteries every 2 years or so??

8. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Unfortunately, they are designed to last approximately two years...although usually they gradually decline in life over those two years, rather than just dying all of a sudden. Guess you got unlucky :(

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Mine went bad after only about a year and a half, and had all of 45 cycles on it. Fortunately I had AppleCare and got it replaced at the Apple Store.

10. llee87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha okay. I guess I don't feel *so* bad then. I guess it could have been gradual, but I just didn't notice because I usually use this plugged in (until recently).

If I plan on spending my laptop almost always plugged in, I don't *necessarily* have to get a new battery, correct?

11. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Oooh, this could have contributed to the problem. If you never use the battery, it'll die faster. Apple recommends fully discharging the battery once a month to maintain health.

That's correct—you only need the battery if you plan to use the battery ;)

12. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Well only 45 cycles in a year and a half.

Its better to USE the battery than to leave it sitting there.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Looks like its time to get a new battery :eek: Good luck with that!

14. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

That's right. In a recent thread about how to maximize battery life, somebody linked to an Apple document that had some recommendations, one of which I adopted. The article suggested making a recurring entry in iCal to once a month leave your laptop on battery power until it is close to fully discharged before recharging it. That's easy and I'm doing it.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

My Dad has a 5 year old MBP and he hasn't replaced the battery in 5 years. And he gets 2 - 2.5 hours out of it:D

16. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

That's REALLY impressive! I mean really, REALLY impressive!! :eek::eek::eek:

...especially since the first MacBook Pros were introduced only a little over 4 years ago ;)