Battery Level After 1 Hour Use - Good?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbSoluTc, Jul 22, 2009.

1. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I replaced my phone a few days ago and am extremely happy with it. I did just get done with an "unofficial" test of the battery. I turned airplane mode on, auto lock off, full brightness and auto bright off. I let it sit for 1 hour. I was told that if the phone went 1 hour and did not go below 90%, it is good to go.

I know this is not anything offical and what not. Just looking for opinions. That sound right to you guys?

I am going to charge it up fully tonight and leave it go overnight. I woke up to my phone being 80% from last night and I can't remember where I started from. That's the only reason I ask.

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

That would be great. The 3G comes nothing close to that. :'(

3. bredfan macrumors newbie

That sounds horrible.

You're saying basically in airplane mode, with everything off, and not using it at all, your battery drops 10% in an hour?

Let's put it this way. I keep everything on all the time. Wifi, 3G, location, etc.. and mine doesn't drop anywhere near 10% during an hour of just sitting around.

EDIT: I just noticed you said autolock is off. Does that mean you kept the screen on the whole hour? Either way, that still sounds like a little much, especially with everything off and no usage.

4. Surrix macrumors regular

This is with the screen on the whole time.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, he hasn't tested it yet. At least that's how I read it. He wanted to know if it didn't go below 90% in one hour if it would be good.

With how he's testing it though, I don't think it should even go below 95%. If it goes below that, I'd wonder if something was wrong. However, you really need days of use in different conditions to really know anything IMO.

6. 226896 Guest

Doesn't turning your iPhone on and off all the time in an attempt to save battery life, actually worsen it because it's constantly booting up the OS..?

7. bredfan macrumors newbie

I agree that it shouldn't go much below 95%, if that. I just left my screen on for aprox. 20 minutes. WiFI, BT, Location, and 3G all on, and I only lost 1%.

I also agree that general day to day use is a much better indicator of battery life. However, based on the OP's testing parameters, if the battery did indeed drop below 90%, I would definitely be concerned that something was wrong.

8. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You all are confusing me.

That's with auto lock off which means the screen stays on all the time. That is also at FULL BRIGHTNESS with auto brightness OFF.

I am currently finishing up charging and going to take it off the charger and run it until tomorrow morning when I wake up to see how long it lasts. This test will be mostly stand by.

EDIT: I am doing another round of 1 hour, full bright, no auto lock/bright, w/airplane mode on and see what happens.

9. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Half way through. In 35 minutes, my battery is showing 96%.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

11. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I have to agree. This is ridiculous. One hour means nothing. You need to check actual usage over many hours to get anything meaningful. Frankly all of this is starting to sound obsessive.

12. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

I just did this on my 3G, and I'm down to 97% after an hour. 3G off, EDGE on, WiFi on, location services on, brightness about 50%, push notifications and email on. I got a few emails during the time too.

13. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

It's called a baseline. I am not obsessive. I got a new phone and things seem a little different. That's it. I am just seeing IF there is an issue. I am not looking for one. Thank you.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's not obsessive until he starts talking about his bezel and pixels. ;)

15. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I stand corrected ;)

16. frunze macrumors member

I think if we want to do tests and all, different tests should be performed because your phone's battery is drained differently when you're using local stuff, like local apps and even calls from when you're using an internet based app such as Trapster or even Google Maps when it's mapping your location as you're driving. I was losing 1% a minute when I had Trapster on last week; that's a touch much, no?

Anyway - I will say one thing with certainty. Someone here recommended (sorry don't remember who but thank you whoever you are) to drain the battery completely, let the phone turn off, and then fully charge. I did that a couple of times, and am noticing a significant battery life improvement - before the first full charge, it lasted about 4 hours of active, 12 hours standby; after the first one - about 5 and a half hours; after the third one - right now - I am at 50% charge and 3 hrs 15 min of active use and 15 hrs standby.