Battery Life: 1st Gen iPhone vs. iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djwobble, Jul 14, 2008.

1. djwobble macrumors regular

Anyone that has upgraded their first gen iPhone to 2.0 notice a huge decrease in battery life throughout the day? Have you noticed a decrease in your normal every day use of the iPhone?

Are you seeing better results than those with the 3G iPhone

2. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I am seeing less battery life - but it seems to be what I use.

Application use for me seems to eat the battery a lot.

3. djwobble thread starter macrumors regular

Here is my status so far.. I am running the 3g iphone. I have gone through the 3 charge cycle" everyone has said to do..

3g is off
    wifi is off too

Attached Files:

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Huge decrease in battery life. I have 3G, push, and locate all turned off. With 2hr 48min of usage I am at about 30 percent. The usage was a movie, about 15 min of web on Wi-Fi, checked email periodically and about 20 min of phone. No applications were used at all.

I've essentially duplicated the setup of my V1 iPhone and used it just as I used the V1. Typically my battery, at this point, would be around 60 percent or so. I keep very close tabs on power useage.

I truly hope this is a 2.0 issue and not a battery problem. I'm giving Apple another week or so to address (or announce that they will address) this problem. If not, my 3G goes back and I go back to V1 iPhone on 1.4.

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

"iPhone has been plugged in since the last full charge".

Also, what is that usage? Big difference if that 5 hours is mostly music as opposed to video or web surfing.

6. cwosigns macrumors 65816

If you haven't already, I would do a restore. The 2.0 software that I downloaded via http on Thursday night wasn't the official release and it was really depleting my battery quickly. I restored and it really helped a lot.

7. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Yeah, I did the whole restore thing. Unfortunately no difference. I really am thinking this is a 2.0 issue as I've been reading that V1 users with 2.0 are seeing noticably shorter battery life. I checked out the iPod touch board and there are complaints about shorter battery life there as well...all 2.0 upgraded.

8. djwobble thread starter macrumors regular

And correct me if I am wrong, the touch users don't have gps nor 3g (obviously) So.... those can't possibly be draining down the battery.

Again to me, seems like a FW2.0 issue...

9. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Nope...you're correct.

10. Simfizx macrumors newbie

Battery life from great to miserable

I just downloaded the update on Friday--haven't changed anything, nor added any applications, and haven't even really made many phone calls (four all weekend). I've needed to charge after two days. My usual rate of battery usage during school was every three to four days, with much more usage of the web and phone. I sure hope it's a 2.0 problem that can be solved!

Original iPhone (never Jailbroken, just regular updates of iPhone software...)

11. djwobble thread starter macrumors regular

12. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

what is the 3 charge cycle?
    What should I do?

13. Red Sox macrumors regular

Not only is battery life worse on the original iPhone, it's buggy as hell. I had to reboot my phone at least 4 times since Friday.

I was so thrilled to finally have my Exchange mail pushed to my iPhone, but my battery was down to 20% by around 3PM. That's unacceptable. I have to set it to fetch every 15 minutes in order for it to last all day.

14. djwobble thread starter macrumors regular

People here have recommended to let the phone run completely out and recharge it 3 times.

1. Let the phone die
    2. Recharge
    3. repeat steps 1 and 2, 2 more times...

15. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

this is in a row? Three days in a row?

16. djwobble thread starter macrumors regular

Times :)

17. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

so I'm guessing it doesn't have to be in a certain time period.. Throughout the week I could do it three times?

18. djwobble thread starter macrumors regular

I did mine in a row... doesn't seem to really be helping. :-/

I am beginning the think more and more this is a firmware issue and that Apple will have an update very soon for it. Just reading from this board that has a boatload of members, we're all pretty much unhappy with the battery life. Apple will change that in the near future...:)

19. reboad macrumors member

The three cycle trick is to help your battery to wake up completely, it doesn't do any magic tricks, but helps to squeeze out the potential of your battery. This is something you should do to everything using lithium batteries!

Can't do much if the firmware is draining your battery, though..

20. Pobtastic macrumors newbie

I'm noticing a HUGE difference in battery usage in my 1st day bought 1st gen iPhone (upgraded to 2.0 firmware) - whereas overnight the phone would perhaps use 5% - 10% at most charge whilst I'm asleep and not using it, this morning when I went to use it and found that I'd forgotten to put it back into its dock it had a slither of red battery on the gauge and wouldn't let me turn it on until it had charged for ten minutes. I'm tempted to revert back to the 1.1.4 firmware as I'm finding the apps less than useless... Locate me doesn't work at all any more (so the location based apps are useless as very, very few allow you to manually type in where you are), the keyboard has a noticeable delay now whilst it brings up word short cuts and obviously the battery life... I preferred my jailbroken 1.1.4 iPhone, even the apps were better...

Pobster

21. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

As has been said before, it depends on how you use your phone

On days that I used Edge, iPod, and emailed people, the battery didn't last that long but on days I called a few people and checked my email here and there, it lasted the entire day and then some

If you use the 3G all day, it will burn out quickly. If not, you will be fine. Turn off bluetooth and 3G if you dont need it. Saves you life

22. guitarguy09 macrumors member

Completely agree and it seems to help your battery indicator to be more accurate about how much usage is left. I would add that you should probably let the battery drain completely from a full charge once each month as well...

23. djwobble thread starter macrumors regular

24. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

after the last couple of days.

If you turn off PUSH email. it makes a world of difference. My phone can easily last 24 hours.

25. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Again, I have push, 3G, location, and WiFi on 100% of the time.
    Right now, I'm at 2 hours 14 minutes of usage and 12 hours 34 minutes standby. My battery appears to be just a tick over 50%.
    My usage has been texting, email, light web surfing (over both WiFi and 3G) and about 15-20 minutes of game playing. I've made or received only 4 calls, though.

It does seem to deplete quicker than the last iPhone, but I still make it through the day without too much hassle.