battery life: 37 cycles in 5 weeks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shawnax, Dec 14, 2008.

1. shawnax macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new Macbook Unibody 2.4 GHZ.

My battery has always been a strange one. The longest it lasts sometimes is only 3 hours and I have only had this for a little more than a month. I just ran coconutBattery it said I have already gone through 37 cycles of battery life? That is weird because I'm pretty sure I've only let it die once..and then recharge it. Ok maybe twice.

Another thing I'm speculating is that it sleeps weird. Sometimes when I close the lid it doesn't sleep at all... Although the light is off, the laptop is still hot.
    Should I take it in the store and get it checked or can I do this myself?

2. P Mentior macrumors regular

To answer your questions about the battery cycles, it adds up partial cycles to make full cycles, so you shouldn't be concerned about it showing 37 cycles when you have only let it run dry a few times. as too having 37 cycles in 5 weeks i don't think that that's uncommon, I only have 62 and I've have my MBP for about 4 months, but I don't use it while on battery power that often.

As to your MB's sleeping issues I can't help you much there as i don't have a unibody MB.

3. California macrumors 68040

California

No, I think that is very strange. If it is hot when it should be sleeping, something is wrong.

My powerbook 12" had only 60 cycles or so in a year and a half on a new battery.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You are right.

As far as cycles it depends on how much you use the battery. I know people who travel and/or use it on battery a lot and have over a 100 cycles in 2 months. Everyone is different. Just because someone like the above poster has 60 cycles on his/her old Powerbook means nothing to anyone, but him/her.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've had 22 over 13 months on mine. Most of the time, I leave it plugged in.

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I agree with everybody else. Don't worry about the cycles.
    However, the battery life is a concern. I would take it in to the Apple Store and tell them about your battery/sleep issues. It doesn't sound right...

7. P Mentior macrumors regular

I agree with everyone that you should take it in to an Apple store and have it looked at.

8. bimmerfreak0 macrumors member

look, on a 500 dollar laptop, a 125 battery would be a lot, but lets be honest. If I have to replace a 125 battery in a year and a half because it doesnt fully recharge on my 1500 dollar laptop, im fine with that. Additionally,yeah i wouldnt worry about cycles. Ive had mine since day 1 and have 28 cycle if it helps. still have a 4200 charge

9. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I have 109 cycles in 4 months. :(

I didn't think it was a good idea to plug it in always. Is it?

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Apple says it is, but some people do it, some don't.