Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawnax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
I recently purchased a new Macbook Unibody 2.4 GHZ.

My battery has always been a strange one. The longest it lasts sometimes is only 3 hours and I have only had this for a little more than a month. I just ran coconutBattery it said I have already gone through 37 cycles of battery life? That is weird because I'm pretty sure I've only let it die once..and then recharge it. Ok maybe twice.

Another thing I'm speculating is that it sleeps weird. Sometimes when I close the lid it doesn't sleep at all... Although the light is off, the laptop is still hot.
Should I take it in the store and get it checked or can I do this myself?

P Mentior

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Ohio
To answer your questions about the battery cycles, it adds up partial cycles to make full cycles, so you shouldn't be concerned about it showing 37 cycles when you have only let it run dry a few times. as too having 37 cycles in 5 weeks i don't think that that's uncommon, I only have 62 and I've have my MBP for about 4 months, but I don't use it while on battery power that often.

As to your MB's sleeping issues I can't help you much there as i don't have a unibody MB.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
No, I think that is very strange. If it is hot when it should be sleeping, something is wrong.

My powerbook 12" had only 60 cycles or so in a year and a half on a new battery.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
To answer your questions about the battery cycles, it adds up partial cycles to make full cycles, so you shouldn't be concerned about it showing 37 cycles when you have only let it run dry a few times. as too having 37 cycles in 5 weeks i don't think that that's uncommon, I only have 62 and I've have my MBP for about 4 months, but I don't use it while on battery power that often.

As to your MB's sleeping issues I can't help you much there as i don't have a unibody MB.

You are right.

As far as cycles it depends on how much you use the battery. I know people who travel and/or use it on battery a lot and have over a 100 cycles in 2 months. Everyone is different. Just because someone like the above poster has 60 cycles on his/her old Powerbook means nothing to anyone, but him/her.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I agree with everybody else. Don't worry about the cycles.
However, the battery life is a concern. I would take it in to the Apple Store and tell them about your battery/sleep issues. It doesn't sound right...

bimmerfreak0

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
look, on a 500 dollar laptop, a 125 battery would be a lot, but lets be honest. If I have to replace a 125 battery in a year and a half because it doesnt fully recharge on my 1500 dollar laptop, im fine with that. Additionally,yeah i wouldnt worry about cycles. Ive had mine since day 1 and have 28 cycle if it helps. still have a 4200 charge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.