Battery life 38mm vs 42mm

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AngusW, Mar 11, 2015.

1. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

Is there going to to be any difference between the battery life on each model? The way I see it 42mm would have a slightly larger battery only because the watch display is slightly larger. What do other people think?

2. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I did see a post that mentioned that the 42mm had a 'slightly' better battery life....I'm not sure of the technical interpretation of 'slightly'.

I would have thought that the bigger display would have negated the bigger battery and they would both work out roughly the same

3. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

The display is off most of the time, and all the other components in the different size models are exactly the same, meaning logically you're going top get better battery life from the larger model... :)

Also, the display may not be as proportionally larger as the battery volume is proportionally bigger (one grows by the square, the other by the cube), meaning even with the display on, the larger Watch might still experience better battery life, although by how much is an academic pursuit until people get hands-on experience with these things.

4. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

Yes, the larger watch should have better battery, but not by a whole lot.

5. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Apple site says it is more, but it won't be significant.
    They've been desperate to make the battery life as good as possible so if it was significant enough to make even 1 hour different they would have absolutely advertised that the 38 did 18hours and 42 did 19 as they can show off more then.
    It's probably such a small amount you wouldn't really notice it.

6. AngusW thread starter macrumors 6502

AngusW

Cool thanks that's what I thought. Definitely still leaning towards the 38mm in that case.

7. Caseynd macrumors regular

Caseynd

I would guess 30 min difference between the 2

8. blah35 macrumors regular

Interesting battery insights at the Apple site.

Looks like the 42mm "typically experiences longer battery life."

9. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

The rumblings I've heard using the case size estimates (we won't really know until it hits real hands) are a 10% increase. Which makes sense proportionally.

10. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

38 vs 42 battery

Sorry if this has already been discussed. Do you think the 42 mm :apple: Watch will last longer than the 38 mm :apple: Watch since it technically has room for a larger battery?

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Several threads on this.

Short answer is nobody knows yet.

12. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Attached Files:

13. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Valid point. And you would hope so . Is the screen the same size? So would a larger screen offset a larger battery?

I just knew I would need a 42, so never compared

----------

Well that is good news!!

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

15. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

For many even 30 minutes more could justify the extra $50. I have huge hands and bad eyes so 42mm will not only look better but should be slightly easier to read.

16. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

I read somewhere that it will be not noticeable. If it were measurable in hours, we would have heard or read about it. I'm sure Apple would have loved to tout that the 42 can push 20 hours or even 19, but it probably gets anywhere from an extra 10-20 minutes.

It's better from a marketing perspective to just say "better" battery life instead of "15 more minutes!"

17. Patriot24, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I haven't seen that estimate, but let's do the math assuming the 18 hours is for the 38mm case as described by Apple's battery site:

18 hours + 10% increase = 1 hour 48 minutes

If that's true, that is a pretty big boost. I'm sure the larger screen eats into whatever advantage the bigger battery brings pretty well.