Battery life a lot worse for iPT6 compared to iPT5 for everyone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Aston441, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

My iPT6 128 seems to have 30-50% less battery life than my old iPT5 128. From what I've read, this is just normal yes? Probably because the faster processor just uses more juice?

2. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Something is wrong. There was no iPT5 that was 128GB. There are other threads that discuss battery claims for various models, there is no sense in starting another one that has a suspicious comparison with a non-existing model.

4. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OMW it's a typo should I off myself immediately lol? Chill guys. It's a 64.

5. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

The battery life does seem a little odd, but I'm still on the first cycle. I am in the red warning after a a week on standby without barely using it.

6. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

My iPhone 6 with 9.1 has better battery life than ever. Battery life is all about settings, and the apps that you use. Upon every iOS update it's a necessity to go through EVERY iOS setting and disable every feature that you don't use, and to choose which apps you will allow to use location services, data, or any of the radios in any way. And lastly, all battery hope is lost on a phone that is logged into social media sites 24/7.

7. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I have an iPod touch 5 and 6 and battery seems about the same to me.

8. 1961 Scout macrumors member

These are great tips..thanks!

9. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

What is rated battery life on the 5 vs the 6th generation? My 5 is pretty bad - like maybe 3 or so hours of battery. If the 6 is significantly better, it might be worth upgrading.

Anyway, on topic, that's pretty bad if the 6th gen is worse than the 5th.. the 5th is already bad, in my experience.

10. iceman42 macrumors regular

the battery life in the new iPod touch 6th gen really sucks.i only got 3 or 4 hours of just playing music on it. took mine back only after 3 days with it.had to charge it 3 times in a day.

11. Incited macrumors newbie

Incited

My iPod touch 6 battery life has been very clearly worse than the 5 I used to have.

12. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I thought my 6th gen battery life was a bit worse than my 5th gen, but it became really bad lately. I use it for about 2 hours a day every day, and it spends the rest of the time in standby (and even when in use, most of the time it's with the screen off just playing music). My 5th gen could last several days like this, with me needing to charge it only once or twice a week. The 6th gen barely lasted more than a day.

I recently did restore of the device and was careful to add back only apps (and settings--like access to notifications and location, etc.) that I needed. I had originally just imported the settings from my 5th gen iPod, which itself may have inherited settings from a previous model. I don't like to do it this way but it tends to work pretty well on iOS (and unlike on a Mac or PC it's more difficult to copy over data after restoring, so it can be more of a pain to do, which is why I don't just start from scratch every time I replace an iOS device). After starting clean, it seems a bit better but I'll see how it fares after a few uses. If you imported a backup from a previous iPod, I might suggest this as well to see if it helps. The only other thing that did for me was turning it completely off when I wasn't using it (in retrospect, Airplane Mode or something may have helped as well, but I never thought of that) since a lot of battery life seemed to have been lost in standby mode. YMMV.

13. deaglecat macrumors 6502

had a 6... returned partly because battery life shortfall vs ipt5 was more than the benefit I was getting from the updated device.

14. Cobalt50 macrumors member

The battery life on my new IPT6 was so much less than that of my IPT 5 that I took it to the Apple Store because I thought it was defective. They ran their tests and said it was okay. It doesn't last that long. The good part is that it charges a lot faster than my old IPT5

15. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies. I guess my iPT6 is normal then. Now I use my 6 when I want speed and a pleasant experience, and switch to my 5 when I need longevity.

They are both great devices.

16. 27 others macrumors newbie

27 others

Battery life seems pretty much the same here for both devices. Sometimes I think the iPT6 is better.

17. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Don't have much in the way of numbers, but my new 6G seems to have comparable battery life to what my 5G had when it was new. But MUCH better than my 5G has now with the battery on its last legs. Just hope the 6G has a longer useful life before the battery starts to fade.

18. iKoopa macrumors member

iKoopa

Usage: 4hr, 48 min.
    Standby: 15hr, 33 min.
    Percentage 96%.

No wifi at all, and no games. Just music playback with on screen-time to change songs.

19. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I feel like battery life is a bit better since updating to 9.2.

Nothing objective though.

20. rjalda100 macrumors regular

I had the 5G and I don't find them to be much different, though I already sold my 5G so I can't really compare them on 9.2.

21. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

After 4-and-a-half months usage my battery life suddenly halved overnight. I couldn't see that it was any new app I was using, nor had I been using the device in a different way - generally music, the Health app and a few others.

I completely erased it, restored from a backup, then my battery seemed to be back to normal. However, this was just for one cycle before it worsened again. I did Diagnostics with Apple over the phone; they couldn't determine the problem so booked me a Genius Bar appointment for the next day.

Luckily I live 20 minutes walk from the store. The lady I spoke with couldn't work it out either but immediately swapped it out with a brand new one.

So far, I'm happy again - back to about 48 hours standby and 8 or 9 hours usage.

22. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Just to update on my situation, my iPod touch 6th gen was recently replaced by Apple for an unrelated problem covered by the warranty (my rear camera stopped working). On my "new" (presumably refurbished) iPod, I find the battery to now be comparable to my 5th gen iPod touch--with daily use for one to two hours and standby for the rest of the day, it appears I can once again get by charging it only a couple times a week.

I'm not sure if my old unit was "defective" or if that battery life was within Apple's desired range, but it seemed to me like it was noticeably bad. I also had connection and audio quality problems with my Bluetooth headphones on that iPod that I don't have when those headphones are paired to any other device, including my replacement iPod. I think I just got a dud and tolerated it because it wasn't that bad, but I do believe there is some variance out there.

23. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Well, I would think this is merely a tradeoff rather than a pro... if it's got something to do with the capacity, being less means it would charge faster.

24. flk1s macrumors newbie

flk1s

Initially looks like battery life was poor, however in looking at the stats it shoes that 7 minutes in settings used 50% of a full charge. 6 hours music 34% and 1.25 hours video used 8%. Moral stay out of the setting menu

25. Ted13 macrumors 6502

Well as someone who went from a 64GB iPhone 5S to a 128GB iPhone 6S- I can assure you that the 6S has way longer/better battery life. So, your iPhone's capicity is not your only mistake -- there may be other "typos" -- for instance you may be using your new iPhone twice as much as the old one -- that would certainly hit the battery