Battery life & adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JaneEyre, Dec 28, 2010.

1. JaneEyre macrumors newbie

Hi guys, just a small question. I use my MBA often with connection to the power supply while the battery is fully charged. Does this damage the battery quality or reduce the lifetime of the battery (in terms of battery cycles)?

I was wondering what was better for the battery, unlink the charger or keep it connected to the mac while I'm working in my office.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. JaneEyre thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I know, I have calibrated the battery yesterday, and will keep doing that, but will it damage my battery or lower the lifetime if I use it on the adapter for a couple of days?

4. alan111 macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. It was very helpful.
    So just to be clear... it is not detrimental to the battery's health to run the computer plugged into the charger, as long as the battery is used 2-3 times a week?

Coming from a PC, I always thought the opposite. I thought that leaving it plugged in all the time was what killed the battery and that running on battery was the health way to maintain it...

5. JaneEyre thread starter macrumors newbie

The link does even give me the answer to my question :)

Bottomline its better to keep working on AC power than to discharge the battery because after 750 recharges the battery will become weaker. Do i get this right?

6. TSE macrumors 68030

Most optimal usage would be to use your MacBook Air on AC Power 24/7 except for once every two weeks or so drain the battery completely.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It will get weaker all the time but after 1000 cycles, it should have at least 80% health. It's won't drop in one night so after 500, it should be at 90% etc.

8. JaneEyre thread starter macrumors newbie

Very nice to hear, because then I'll keep the mac on AC as much as possible.
    Thx!