Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markusberger

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
SMC reset doesn't "solve" the issue.

It simply resets the battery estimation. Which then just shows you an unrealistic estimate that is NOT based on actually using the machine on battery till it's empty.

Also, use a timer to see how long your battery actually lasts and don't rely on the estimation (especially if you reset the SMS, then the estimation is useless).

Come on people, a little logic here and there: claiming to "solve" the battery issue by reseting the estimation without actually using the battery and then saying "I reset SMC, the battery is at 100% and it shows I have 23h battery life" while in reality you have 5h....

pogiboi

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Did SMC reset. While it did show a higher time remaining of over 9 hours, in actual life it didn't change anything at all. Still only got 5.5 hours of actual use before it died. All the SMC reset does is reset the battery estimation. After about an hour of use, the estimation dropped quickly.

bsadelman

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
At 100% my 13 TB was showing estimates of 6 hours. I performed the SMC reset procedure while battery life registered at 99%. Upon the SMC restart it now shows 5 hours and the estimate is gradually going up. Is that the same experience others have had?

markusberger

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Just got 9 hours actual life after smc reset. Before reset I got 4.5 actual life.

Running word and web browsing.

Well that's what I would courageously call the type of Apple "magic" that lives inside the touchbar - no offense ;)

Anyway, if that's the case, I find this almost just as troubling - good for you nonetheless!

I'm not even gonna ask if you checked whether exactly the same (iCloud related, indexing) background processes were running, the brightness was at exactly the same level the entire time (ambient light sensor likes to change that) and you used exactly the same Apps with exactly the same browsing behavior as before.

And again: no offense, I've been hackingtoshing and using Apple products for almost a decade now.

I like Apple, but people in forums seem to get very personal these days once you tell them something that conflicts with their beloved shiny new Apple ;)

Enjoy your new machine!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
In both cases time machine occasionally fired up, but both tests were run after the initial spotlight indexing finished. In both cases brightness was around 60-70%. (I don't change it). And in both cases in a lit room.

As far as browsing behavior, in neither case did I watch videos or the like. Just surfing ny times, this forum, PACER, things like that.

Reactions: markusberger
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.