Battery life, again...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maury, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Maury macrumors 6502

So after a couple of weeks of use I can safely say that 2.1 has definitely, absolutely improved my battery life, on the order of 50%. I can safely put it in my backpack for a trip out of town and know that it will work the next day too. And now I leave 3G and WiFi on all the time too, and I've really gotten used to 3G. GPS is off though, maybe I'll try turning that back on...

But on occasion I have noticed that the battery drains much faster than normal, perhaps double the rate. I always suspected this was due to a program locking up, but in a way that is invisible to the user. This happened again yesterday, and the point was proven when I tried to open Fring and it told me it was running low on virtual memory. A quick reboot and presto, the battery stopped draining.

So I assume other people are seeing this too. Has anyone got any ideas what the culprit is? Is it one app that's doing this, or any?

Maury

2. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Yes, this happened to me once and a reboot fixed it.

I was never able to figure out WHICH app it was, but I can tell you, I am not one of those that has a tone of apps on his phone. (YET)

Facebook
    YouNote
    Epocrates Rx
    OneTap Movies
    CubeRunner
    AstroTilt
    Flashlight
    PegJump
    SolFree
    reMovem Free
    Moonlight Lite (Majong)
    Some Tip Calculator Program

And I believe I experienced this before I installed Facebook.

3. icewing macrumors 6502

I think it's Safari. The other night the only thing I did different than usual was use Safari to access the NFL web site. The next morning my battery was SERIOUSLY drained, and my usage showed that I'd been using it all night! :eek:

4. toss002 macrumors regular

For me, after making quick calls and I used GPS feature ONLY, and before bed at 80%. The next morning the battery drained to 20%.:mad:

Thus, it's not just Safari.

What the h e l l is wrong with THESE firmwares thus far?:mad:

5. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

For me it is Mail that kills off the battery, but I seem to have worked out that it is poor 3G network

When the 3G network starts to go very slow, mail seems to struggle and constantly tries to connect (get 5 constant bars so its not low signal)

just had this yesterday morning, running very slow for any data activity, mail would constantly try to connect but never fully do it, by afternoon it was working again (no changes made by me) and the battery started to improve

this is with checking the usage/standby figures

6. firewood macrumors 604

I've seen way faster than normal battery drain a couple times when I wasn't even using my iPhone. I think it's one of two things:

- leaving Location Services on after using any mapping or location aware application (the GPS chip seems to be left on, even when not being used), or
    - leaving 3G on in an area of weak but barely usable 3G coverage (the iPhone will turn its transmitter power way up high to compensate).

So now I turn those both off when I'm not going to be using them for a large fraction of the day. Edge cell phone service and wifi don't seem to be anywhere near as fast a battery drain when idle.