Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbyrob4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
Ok this is going to sound stupid. It actually is but it got me thinking. We all know that heat hurts our batteries. Today I was looking at a video on YouTube and after about 10 minutes I notice my iPhone 7 was a littler warmer than usual. Not sure if its because I was looking at the video from the pocket app and not the YouTube app but whatever it got hotter than normal. Being the maniac I am when it comes to this phone I stopped put it by the air vent and it cooled down.

Now when they say heat is the killer of these batteries do you guys think they mean heat like leaving it in your car or heat the phone it self produces like from heavy use, videos, games, etc? It was like a 10 min video so I dont think I did any damage per say but this got me thinking.

So what do you do when you feel your device get hot? My wife streams Pandora for hours, watches video and has a really care free iPhone experience. Heck we typically switch these bad boys out every year so is there really a need to worry so much?

Have you guys notice the iPhone 7 getting warmer/hotter than the previous versions?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I don't care too much about heat. The devices are all slim and will get warm while charging and other tasks.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Now when they say heat is the killer of these batteries do you guys think they mean heat like leaving it in your car or heat the phone it self produces like from heavy use, videos, games, etc? It was like a 10 min video so I dont think I did any damage per say but this got me thinking.

No, the heat you phone produces while watching a 10 minute YouTube video didn't cause any damage to the battery. A hot car certainly could though.

So what do you do when you feel your device get hot? My wife streams Pandora for hours, watches video and has a really care free iPhone experience. Heck we typically switch these bad boys out every year so is there really a need to worry so much?

I ignore it. It's getting hot because the processor is working and/or the battery is charging. The aluminum transmits this heat out and you feel it.

Have you guys notice the iPhone 7 getting warmer/hotter than the previous versions?

Seems about the same as every iPhone I've ever had. I really only notice is when I'm streaming music over LTE, using GPS and charging at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.