Battery Life and iPhoto

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vardamir, Jul 15, 2009.

1. vardamir macrumors newbie

I have noticed that whenever I open iPhoto, the estimated battery time left on my MacBook Pro 13" is reduced by more than half! All I have to do is open iPhoto and within seconds the time reduces considerably.

The moment I quit iPhoto, the estimated time jumps right up again. I have found that if I place my ear close to where the hard drive is, I can hear it become very active while iPhoto is open. This must be why the battery time goes down. Other programs don't cause this same level of hard drive activity. Is the increased hard drive activity normal in iPhoto?

Does anyone else notice this?

Edit: Just realised what's going on! iPhoto was scanning the entire library for faces!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This sounds normal.

iPhoto is a pretty intensive app, so reduced battery life should be normal.

3. vardamir thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually it's only normal if iPhoto scans for faces (this obviously only applies to iPhoto 09). Once I paused the face-scanning procedure and used iPhoto as normal, battery time more than doubled.

4. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Iphoto 09 drains my UMB as well, The ilife09 disc takes two hours to install on my mac mini and this isn't an isolated case. OH WELL>:confused: