Battery Life Bad Again?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dasagent, Dec 24, 2016.

1. dasagent macrumors newbie

Two to three days after I received my 15 inch base model MBP, the battery life was amazing. I ended the workday off with over 45% remaining after over 300 minutes of constant usage.

Recently however, my battery life has become significantly worse, and the power consumption has become relatively high. Activity Monitor is not reporting any abnormal activity, and my device is using the integrated graphics, so I am unsure why I am getting roughly 5 to 6 hours of actual usage now.

I was hoping someone could give me some tips on how to reverse this issue. I haven't downloaded any software and my usage is the same as before.

Attached Files:

2. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

Have you rebooted your machine? I have to do this every other time I'm on my 15" MBP, even with only Safari open. It's become second nature for me to have to initially reboot the machine when I'm using it away from a charger.

There's no rhyme or reason to it, just a major bug that needs fixing.

3. dasagent thread starter macrumors newbie

I've rebooted several times, but the same issue keeps arising. It happened yesterday. The day before that, i remember using my device from 4 am to 6 am with only a 9 percent decrease in battery.

4. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

Download Coconut battery. You can use it to see the wattage used in real time. If it constantly sits close to 10 Watts, you may need to either track down the bad app or do a re-install of Sierra to fix it. Boot to command-r and do a recovery install over the top. I've had to do it twice now. Something is definitely up with the machines. It's like they "forget" how to drop the processor power when they go to idle of something. Example: mine is currently at 5 watts, but if I walk away it will drop to 2 Watts then less then one. However, when it's bad, it never drops below 6-7 Watts at idle with no apps open and even all the antennas off and brightness minimal. Crazy. And annoying.

5. dasagent thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a fresh reinstall, the battery is slightly better but the issue persists.

I was so satisfied with the battery life until now :(

Edit -- Coconut Battery is reporting discharge of 9 watts or greater at all times. Typically 11-13.

6. elvin_hu macrumors newbie

elvin_hu

typically 18 watts here...

7. dasagent thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but that is also abnormal. This must be solved. I don't have an opportunity to charge during the day when I am not at home.

8. David58117 macrumors 65816

And this is why Consumer Reports failing these MacBooks is a good thing. They have the clout that Apple has to pay attention to.