Battery life based on real world usage (17" UMBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ayasin, Feb 24, 2009.

1. ayasin macrumors 6502

I took my laptop out to work with someone at a restaurant today. At the end of a 3 hour work session my battery still had 70% juice left. During this time, I was typing, compiling code in XCode and running the iPhone simulator almost constantly (screen never turned off). I also had Adium running and Twitterific was pulling new tweets every 3 min (on wifi). At that rate of decay the battery would last me TEN HOURS. Switching to time from % display also indicated 7 hrs remaining. I keep my screen fairly dim which I think made a lot of difference (2-3 dots). I'll do some more tests but based on this experience I'm very very satisfied with the battery even if I can't swap it out. Anyone else have real world experiences they'd like to share?

EDIT: Fixed a typo (]/b] instead of [/b])

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

The battery is actually very easy to remove/replace based on the vids and pics I've seen from inside the new 17" Congrats!! My 15" is 3hrs with no wifi and screen dimmed all the way :(

3. ayasin thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree it's easy to replace, but I'd hardly call that "swappable". When I think of swappable I think 1 or 2 clips holding the thing in and it takes less than a minute to change it out.

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Ohh ohh, no it's not swappable on the go, but it's not soldered to the logic board or anything and only requires a few screws to be removed (11 I think).

5. mikekelley macrumors member

The battery life on this machine is certainly sick. I can pull 7 hours no problem, 8 and more if I dim below half brightness. I love it. I've been on the same charge since about 2pm (it's now 920pm) and I have one hour, 27 minutes remaining according to the calculator. I've just been browsing the internet off and on, and I've only closed it for periods of five or less minutes to move locations. Really awesome!

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

At max brightness + wifi + Vista in virtual machine (boot camp) running installing programs and playing music @ 80% volume... I was able to pull off 4 hours on the 9400M. Not bad considering vista's index never turned off the hard drive.

If i'm just taking notes in class, 3 hours worth of class (system put to sleep when switching classes) and the battery was 80%. 1/2 brightness, no wifi or any processor intensive programs. Just Pages.app from iWork 09. 9400M video card.

I've put through 7 battery cycles already. I've only owned this system for 5 days lol.

7. akbc macrumors 6502

No Wi-Fi and screen dimmed all the way, my MBP gets 6:12 :eek:.
    There must be something wrong with your unit, 3 hours is when I watch a movie with screen at 3-5 dots without Wi-Fi.

With Wi-Fi, web browsing and MSN and such, it lasts me about 4:45, which I really don't complain about :)

8. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

That is great battery life. I wish they would use the square cells in a MacBook battery to reduce wasted space but it still removeable.

9. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Nice. I look forward to testing out my new battery.

10. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

wow 6:12
    hiks, how to do that bro ?, i get same like him....:(

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry. I would hardly call that work! It's more like a little tinkering around.
    Don't wanna sound offensive like, but non of what your doing is processor intensive.

Let's see someone filing a Battery usability report for editing and rendering something that's both CPU and GPU intensive.
    Only then will the system's battery performance would be considered 'Impressive', if it anything lasts six or more hours.

12. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

No punn intended, but I hope this battery technology trickles down the MacBook Pro line.

13. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Did you just pull that out of the air or is there something written in stone that defines what "Impressive" means? You would be hard pressed to find ANY 17" machine that can run much more than a couple of hours doing general tasks much less processor/GPU intensive work.

14. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

im-ˈpre-siv (adjective) : making or tending to make a marked impression : having the power to excite attention, awe, or admiration <an impressive display of skill>

It isn't set in stone, but close enough. I agree with duffyanneal, however.

Definition credit.

15. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

:D My point being that using the word impressive is subjective. I guess UltraNEO is not very excitable. :p

16. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I guess he's not.

Just FYI, if someone never took the time to read this, Apple has this posted on their website referring to battery testing:
    You can find this at the bottom of this page.

17. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Pretty typical post by you really. You are very anti-new MacBook Pro.

The battery in the 17" is double the capacity of the one in the old 17" - So whatever people got with the old one, double it.

18. ayasin thread starter macrumors 6502

99% of people who own a mac do not do work that is constantly GPU + CPU intensive. As a devleoper using XCode (and other tools) to write, compile and test apps is what I do. Have you ever compiled a reasonably complex program and taken a look at CPU usage? As I said in my post, this is my real world usage and these numbers are great for me. If you're rendering the next Pixar movie then you're probably going to get significantly worse battery life than I will.

19. ayasin thread starter macrumors 6502

Good points. The specs of my machine/test are:

2.93 GHz proc
    7200 RPM drive
    Brightness set to 2-3 dots
    "Better battery life" selected in energy saver

20. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah?? But there's a difference. In every other 17" machine, the user can 'swap' the battery on-the-go!! Personally, I would considered this more as 'embedded'.

Don't get me wrong dude, I'm dead happy you've gotten yourself a new laptop with long battery life and even more importantly, you're happy!!

I however, just like see how the battery performs under intense pressure. I know most don't do hardware intensive tasks on their systems... So don't worry. I'm not expecting you to conduct them personally.

21. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I run virtual machines on my system while on battery. I get ~3-3.5 Hours for intensive (installing programs, running openGL based within virtual machine) to ~4.5-6 hours doing minimal work.

The battery's "OK" under intense pressure but its better then my MacBook receiving ~1 hour doing the same tasks