Battery Life Better with Reinstall?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by dmillar74, Oct 1, 2013.

1. dmillar74 macrumors regular

Curious how many have done a reinstall of iOS 7 as new without installing from backup... any luck with better battery life?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Mine has been better.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

This usury works, but I've done it twice so far with no luck.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

That's what happened with me until I did a DFU restore. I then started seeing a difference.

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Did you restore from backup after? I've done the dfu restore before with the same results. No matter how I restored, battery life has been miserable for all the betas and now the release versions.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Honestly, I never restore from backup because:

1. Apps can be reinstalled
    2. Music can be re-synced
    3. E-mails are stored on their respective servers (gmail, outlook, exchange)
    4. Photos I usually will manually copy or put it on dropbox
    5. Settings I don't mind reconfiguring.
    6. Contacts are backed up iCloud and you don't need to restore to retrieve them.
    7. I don't save text messages either.

7. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

8. Braders88 macrumors newbie

Braders88

Better!

After installing iOS7 on to my iPhone 5 I noticed a huge drop in battery life. After switching off many options in the settings menu the problem still remained. I bit the bullet and went for the restore option. A bit of a pain installing everything again but now my battery is great, if not better than iOS6.

9. PaulOBrain macrumors regular

I have to admit I agree, wanted to avoid setting up phone as new at all costs because of the hassle. I installed iOS 7 fresh and restored from iCloud backup but was getting poor battery life.

I bit the bullet and set up the phone as new and now battery life is by far better for my iPhone 5.

10. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

Thinking about doing a fresh install myself...

I have been debating this for the last few days and might give it a shot. The only thing that was keeping me back was app data, mainly in games that I have been playing for a while, but I don't want to sacrifice battery life for app data.

Here are my numbers for battery...just feel like my iPhone 5 was better then my 5s when it comes to battery.

Attached Files:

11. Zjgolf44 macrumors newbie

Those numbers seem pretty good for not having done a reinstall. Mine would have been half that.

12. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

I would get at least 6 1/2 hours of usage though on my iPhone 5 with about 25% left...that's why I am thinking of doing it. Maybe I just had an awesome iPhone 5?

13. Braders88 macrumors newbie

Braders88

iOS7 Battery

After restoring my phone and starting a new I was very impressed with the results. A little Wi-Fi internet usage (Mail, Facebook etc). A fair bit of music, texting and calling, overall I am rather pleased. I believe a restore is the way to go in my honest opinion.

Attached Files:

14. PaulOBrain macrumors regular

Here is my usage today. Was under a mixture of wifi and 4G. Done a lot of messaging, web browsing and twitter. Used email quite a bit and been on the phone a lot today. Done no gaming and listened to no music.

Quite impressed with my iPhone 5. Was getting half of that when I just upgraded. Glad I clean installed.

Attached Files:

15. buddybd macrumors 6502

^I'm getting battery similar to that with a backup restore. Currently @50% with 4.25 hours usage and 13 hour standby.

16. PaulOBrain macrumors regular

I was lucky to hit 4 hours when I did a backup restore haha. Noticed a massive difference.

17. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

how big of a difference is a restore as new and DFU restore as new. ive done both, and have seen ZERO improvements. i would hate to do it again if i wont see any change.

18. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I tried it both ways for giggles... neither had any noticeable advantage. Given how Apple is so closed, there's no logic to the result being any different. General houscleaning, but nothing that would really change battery life. I think this is a case of "my Safari is faster now..."

19. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

I did it...

Well, I went ahead and restored as new. I was able to keep my app data with a program I found by searching the web called iExplorer. It worked perfectly to keep the data I wanted from games while restoring as new.

Will report back on my battery usage after it drains for a full day.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

20. Zjgolf44 macrumors newbie

For those of you not seeing any improvements after a full DFU reinstall through iTunes, are you starting fresh and deleting your backups before starting the process?

21. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

Here's where I'm at so far...

Not really sure yet if the restore made a difference. We'll see what it looks like around 5% battery life left.

Attached Files:

22. dictoresno, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i didnt recharge last night so i can see what i get at 1%. so far im sitting at like 4:33 hrs use, 23:26 hours standby at 35%.

i would usually see 8-10 hours of use on ios 6 with a day and a half and standby. so far, its not looking good. to the person who posted the screenshot in another thread with 9 hrs of use and 20+ hrs of standby at 50% is full of bull.

EDIT: and on a side note, my old iphone 4 is sitting on my desk. its at 3:30 hours of use, 8 days of standby at 45%. its not activated, but still....just shows how poor the iphone 5 is in comparison.

23. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

Hmmm...

Pretty sure my restore didn't make a difference, but it is what it is. I am leaving the house in a while so here are my results. I need to get somewhat if a charge before going out. Don't think I can get ANYWHERE close to 8 hours of use.

Attached Files:

24. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

Installed as new and no backup some days are better than others but today was really bad. I was at 85% after only using the phone for 40 mins.

25. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Reinstall had no change in battery life for me. It's still horrible.