Battery Life Concerns

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by QuidHD, Dec 29, 2011.

1. QuidHD macrumors newbie

Just recently I swapped out my 160GB HDD with a new 1TB Samsung internal HDD. (Amazon Link) I've had so many complications trying to install this HDD, but I finally did it. Just when I thought all these complications were over, up comes a new one. Ever since installing this new HDD, I feel as if my battery life drops incredibly quickly. I keep looking back and forth and the battery life percentage and it seems to keep dropping at an alarming rate. I'm worried that my new HDD might be the cause of this, or maybe I'm just paranoid. I only have Google Chrome open (3 tabs; this; a Mac Forums tab, and an Amazon tab) and my battery life is at 67% and it has an estimated 2:48 of life. I don't know if it's just because my battery is old or because of the new HDD.

What I'm hoping is that it's just because my battery is old. It says my battery's status is at Service Battery. Here's what it says about Service Battery status:

"Service Battery: The battery isn’t functioning normally, and you may or may not notice a change in its behavior or the amount of charge it holds. Have your computer checked by an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP). You can continue to use your battery before it’s checked without harming your computer."

Hopefully it's just that my battery is old and it's as simple as scheduling an appointment or whatever at the Apple Store and getting a battery replacement (as they suggest on their website).

I apologize if I'm typing this and coming off as a special child angry at a piece of machinery, but I just want a solution so I can be done with this HDD replacement bull$hi7.

Here's all my info and whatnot:

MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2009

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you need any other info on what I'm running, just ask. I'm tired and I need to go to bed so excuse me if I left anything out.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Service Battery warning indicates your battery health is below 75%. As your battery is designed to deliver up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity, and it's not there yet, take it to Apple for a replacement. If you have AppleCare, they should replace it free. If you don't have AppleCare, they may or may not replace it free.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    It has nothing to do with your HDD.

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Did the 2009 have the 1000 cycle battery yet??? I thought that didn't arrive until the 2010's? Am I mistaken in my thoughts??

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries of the 2009 MBPs had the 1000 cycle batteries, as stated in the FAQ.