Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Hello everyone, i recently upgraded to 3.0 from 2.1 and unlocked/jailbreaked. From cydia i installed the sbsettings battery percentage hack and the caller id to text message hack. Ever since then, my battery has been decreasing by 1% EVERY 2 minutes and so a fully charged iphone 3g reaches to 20% battery within an hour and a half. Even if the phone is not in use and i left it on 100%, when i check it again it will be on something like 70% or something like that. Does the 3.0 firmware use WAY more power than my 2.1 firmware did?? or is the sbsettings hack causing this?? or is it time for me to send my iphone to apple for battery replacement??:confused::confused:

ANY IDEAS???:(:(:(

geekmommy4

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Texas
It might not help, but shut your phone down and restart (if you haven't already). I've had my phone do that occasionally on 3.1 (not even jailbroken yet). If I do a restart, it stops whatever is draining power.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Install a free AppStore battery monitor to test with

JB again and test

Unlock and Test

Install SBSettings and test

PS. Restoring a 3G from a 2.1 backup is known to have bad battery drainage. Set up as a new device.

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
It might not help, but shut your phone down and restart (if you haven't already). I've had my phone do that occasionally on 3.1 (not even jailbroken yet). If I do a restart, it stops whatever is draining power.

Tried that. I guess whatever is causing the drainage just starts up again when the phone starts up. :( Anymore ideas??:confused::confused:

FastangV6

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
I have heard multiple people claim that the sbsettings numeric battery drains the battery more quickly than without it... I have never tried it, so I can't verify.

I have also heard that setting up the phone as a "new phone" instead of restoring from backup helps battery life issues too, when installing new FW.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Also bringing a 2.2.1 backup to 3.0 is just asking for trouble if you dont want to lose data reset ALL your settings otherwise wipe the slate clean completely and start from fresh

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Install a free AppStore battery monitor to test with

JB again and test

Unlock and Test

Install SBSettings and test

PS. Restoring a 3G from a 2.1 backup is known to have bad battery drainage. Set up as a new device.

Do u know any free battery monitor name out of your head?? Also i believe its asbattery not sbsettings battery program.

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Update: i removed asbattery and rebooted yesterday. I recharged the battery overnight. and today: battery is draining just as fast as it was with asbattery installed. i read something about having push on causes severe battery drain as well. Just disabled it, but battery is already on below 20% so i will see how it is with push turned to off. Any other suggestions??:confused::confused:

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
UPDATE: Still no difference after turning off push. So i will install asbattery back and keep looking for other solutions besides restore and set up as new phone.

PS: Any more ideas??

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC

I'm almost 100% this is your problem. Go into Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. If this does not fix your problem, then restore your phone again and Set up as a new device instead of restoring from your 2.1 backup.

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
I'm almost 100% this is your problem. Go into Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. If this does not fix your problem, then restore your phone again and Set up as a new device instead of restoring from your 2.1 backup.

THANKS!!!....BUT WHAT DOES THIS DO EXACTLY?? Erase everything??

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I want to be able to unlock as well so don't think 3.12 is an option right now.

If you're on a mac you can use Pwnage tool and keep your baseband for unlock. Also, there are IPSW links posted here for upgrading to 3.1.2 and keeping baseband for unlock as well if you are running windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.