Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Use your phone, enjoy your phone. Don’t let things like battery bother you. It’s meant to be used.

Well said. We should just use our phones/tablets/computers as we wish, not fret over them as if they were intensive care patients. To the OP I say this, if you fancy a new iPhone and can afford it then splash the cash, scratch that itch. You deserve a treat, honestly you do.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
nm
[automerge]1580752738[/automerge]
how did you came to this conclusion as it makes no sense at all to me.
how long do you keep a phone ? 2 years? sure then it won't matter.

my iPhone 4 is now 10 years old and i still see no reason to upgrade, the battery lasts for a day easily.

And my 3.5 year old SE needed a battery replacement at two years and needed to be recharged by noon when I traded it in before Thanksgiving.

How do you use your phone? Do you spend much time online with it? Any Bluetooth/wireless devices? Do you travel while using it?
[automerge]1580752874[/automerge]
I'm thinking of buying a new iPhone 11 or 11 Pro, but there's one thing that concerns me a lot these past few days.

I've currently for a Huawei P20 that I've been using for the past year and a half, and I've recently noticed that battery life isn't as good as at the beginning, when I was getting over 5 hours of screen on time. Now I'm at 3:30.

So, obviously, this means battery health has gone down, which is natural. Batteries degrade over time. But this soon is it normal to lose 2 hours of screen on time? In less than 2 years?

So, if I buy an iPhone, which costs 1.000€ in some cases, I wouldn't want this to happen again in such an expensive phone. My P20 cost 400€, and I really don't want to be forced to buy a new 400/800€ phone every 2 years because battery life isn't as good anymore.

With a phone so expensive as an iPhone that would really hurt. So what do you guys do to avoid this? I want to keep the phone for 4 years, hopefully.

How much does it cost to replace the battery for a new one? Does dust get under the screen if they replace the battery for a new one?

Do people that spend 1000€ in a phone don't worry about this? I can't buy a new 1000€ phone every 2 years. It's insane.

Thanks!
My iPhone SE lasted just under four years with one battery replacement and could have lasted another two had I replaced the battery again.

I used it heavily, including streaming while driving and often with Bluetooth headphones.

You'll be fine.

ctrlzone

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2017
How do you use your phone? Do you spend much time online with it? Any Bluetooth/wireless devices? Do you travel while using it?
i don't use facebook/twitter/whatsapp & co, rarely a call. mainly Mail/listening to music,some browsing,maps,imessage/facetime. no bluetooth.

we have about 20 mobile apple devices here in our family and the androids we had, all have a dead battery.
only 1 person left with android now, he replaced his battery 2 times after getting fast charging.
now he's on a new huawei. battery replacement is no longer diy on that so..

what i also noticed i never saw someone sell his used android phone after the usual 2-3 year usage.
theres always something broken.

whats also interesting is that provider contracts cost more than the phone for 80-90% of users

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.