Battery Life different West coast / east coast

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kurtstudic, Jul 23, 2008.

1. kurtstudic macrumors newbie

Battery life according to IPhone tech support says west coast get 5 hours to 9. east coast Iphone and apple store says 2-3 hours. Apple says mail in phone to get replaced battery, $ 30 fee for temp. phone. This is with g 3 net turned on and blue tooth turned on. Possible rev versions of batteries not the same from coast to coast, but no real answer here. Any thoughts.:confused:

2. firewood macrumors 604

There are several other threads on battery life. If you use 3G, then your battery life will depend significantly on how close you are to a 3G cell tower, and how much you use other services and features (location, video/graphics, bright backlight, etc.) Battery life may change over time with calibration and aging.

3. kurtstudic thread starter macrumors newbie

Dont be fooled by the hype...

This is according to Apple support, there are three different battery's released by apple and the east coast got the first run, that's my point. what can we all do about it. apple is just dancing to avoid trouble....:confused:

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

And I'm sure you'll get another answer if you ask them again. Unless there's a knowledgebase article on it, the CS rep was probably just giving you a line.

In any case, if you're not happy with your battery life, and they're offering you a swap, then do it. Shouldn't matter what coast you're on.

5. kurtstudic thread starter macrumors newbie

apple's responce today

So according to the apple store , apple will not be replacing any battery's at this time...key word "at this time" and they were unaware that people wern't getting battery life of 5- 10 hour using g 3. :( So When i am in La next week i will exchange my phone for a West coast one that has better Battery life in it...Sounds like Apple dancing alot....

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Turn off location services and your battery life will double.

7. SPeditor macrumors regular

So true. I did this two days ago. It makes a huge difference. I also notice my phone is not as warm anymore.

8. kurtstudic thread starter macrumors newbie

turn off,,but keep paying for serveces

yes turning off all he services will increase the battery life but we are paying for a phone that is advertised to work, as per the apple 5-10 hours of G 3 service etc...this is screaming for a class action law suite. You can't sell something claiming one thing and not delivering anything close to the claims...Especially when the difference between west coast batteries and east coast batteries is so drastically different. :mad:

9. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

So if I ordered from AT&T DF, will I get a west-coast battery or an east-coast battery? And is there an even better battery available that you only get if you ask for it (say "I want a 16GB Black with Battery-X")?

:rolleyes:

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

When you say "west coast", do you mean like right on the beach? How far inland? Is Alaska included? Hawaii is the furthest west...

Also what does this mean for the midwest? 4 hours' battery life? What about Mississippi? They're smack in the middle. Hey I wonder what firmware Mississippi got.

Let's just assume you didn't misunderstand the CS rep. I don't know what's more ridiculous; that a CS would tell you something so absurd, or that you would believe any of it.

11. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Does it appear that GPS is running constantly when location services are enabled, or only when an app such as Google Maps requires it?

If it is on constantly, one could hope for a firmware update that enables location service only when needed.

12. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

And you really believed that? East coast vs. West coast iPhone batteries?

13. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Sounds like the rep that the OP talked to was a bit too obsessed with the East Coast vs West Coast rapper feuds of the 90s :rolleyes:

14. pcorrado macrumors regular

I am so sick of hearing this - where does apple say you will get 5-10 hours of battery - everything I have ever seen was up to 5 hours for 3G and up to 10 hours 2G and that is just talk time, that is not including using the phone for internet, iPod, GPS etc. (Apple's own website list the setting they had...but they never said they actually used the features). In fact, Apple explicitly separates the available power per function, implying the phone is capable of supporting those features for that amount of time. In addition, lets not forget what someone else said in this forum and what Apple admits on their website...battery power depends on numerous conditions including 3G signal strength (in my own testing this seems to be the most significant factor GPS is ok until you start to use it).

I just don't understand why everyone is screaming that Apple lied...all they promised was up to 5 hours of talk time and every test on every review site has come very close to that (4.5 hours I think most are around) that is pretty good to me as I can imagine under ideal circumstances you will probably get up to 5 hours.

Apple never promised people a definite 5-10 hours of talk (so me where they and I will consider representing the class for the law suit), regardless of circumstances (and they never promised even up to 10 hours of 3G talk time only 2G)

The best part about all of this is that most of the people complaining about battery life were the people who complained about the lack of 3G...well its here now and it comes with a price. Of Course if the the 3G network improved...maybe battery life would as well? I am curious to see how battery life compares to parts of the world where 3G coverage is great compared to AT&T's infantile so-called 3G network here in the states.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Batteries on the west coast come in a 2 pack.

16. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Zing! :D

17. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Agreed. A low signal whether it be EDGE or especially 3G will drain your battery quicker than anything else. At my desk at work my iPhone will alternate between 1-2 bars and no signal. Just by it sitting there for 8 hours and me not even touching it the battery meter will drop about 25%. When I'm at home where I have a good solid 5 bars of signal I leave my phone uncharged throughout the night after a fresh charge and the battery meter will still basically show that it's full.

18. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

I don't know anything about East Coast to West Cost thing, but my battery life on my iPhone is horrible. At first I had everything on all the time and I was 2 - 3 hours of battery life. I made an appointment to the Genius Bar and they told me that I need to turn off all the services and turn them on as needed. Ok, I did that and now I am getting 3 - 5 hours of battery life. This means that I have to carry my charger around with me to charge my iPhone. This is probably why they gave us a wall charger.:confused:

19. bigmouth macrumors 6502

My battery came straight outta Compton...it'll smother your mother!

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

This just in; apparently there ARE two kinds of batteries....Biggies, and Smalls.

Y'all.

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Your left foots toes must be stuck in the sand and the right foots toes must be touching the water. Oh and there must be a palm tree within 50 feet.

23. joeconvert macrumors 6502

As opposed to using magic pixie dust?

24. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Went to the Apple store to get my iPhone...and I didn't even have to use my AK...today was a good day.

25. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

damn this is shocking if in actual fact it is true.. i really doubt its credibility.. really doubt it...