[Battery Life] DIY Tracking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by angle, Jul 22, 2009.

1. angle macrumors regular

I, along with a number of individuals on these forums, was curious as to how my battery life performed throughout the day. I wanted to see how my usage affected battery life and what I could do to maximize it. Unfortunately, there was no effective way of viewing this data....UNLESS you tracked it yourself. So, I decided to do just that. Over the past few weeks I've worked on and built an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my battery life, having certain areas automatically calculate information based on user input, etc... However, I didn't feel content keeping it to myself, so I thought I would share it with the masses!

So, for your OCD tracking of battery life (and your pleasure) here is the spreadsheet I created! A few notes though:

• This was created in Excel 2007 on Windows XP. I have confirmed it works in Excel 2007 on XP and Vista. I offer NO guarantee that it will work on a Mac with Office 2007 or higher.
    • I use functions ONLY AVAILABLE IN OFFICE 2007. This WILL NOT WORK IN OFFICE '97 - 2003 (as I originally designed it).
    • This is NOT official and is ONLY meant as a tool to educate yourself on your battery life (results may vary).

With that in mind, if you still want to give it a shot, go for it. If you have questions, suggestions, ways to improve it...please let me know! PM me or shoot me an email at hollar [at] me [dot] com.

Enjoy!

~Angle

P.S. There are certain fields that will automatically populate, as well as four (4x) sheets in the entire workbook. Be careful what you type in and be sure to explore the entire document.

Attached Files:

2. angle thread starter macrumors regular

Almost 5 hours, 76 views, and no comments? Come on guys, gimme a little feedback here! :D

3. muledogus macrumors 6502

Good luck getting people to open a zipped file.

Post a screenshot and maybe people will reply.

4. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

I love your email address.

But I was hoping you had some kind of iPhone profile that would sync the logs to your computer and allow you to view them but you did this all manually. Still help full I guess. Thanks.

5. calvy macrumors 65816

I'm not afraid of zip files. I just unzip them on my linux box. But I'm skeptical these functions would work in Mac Excel, due to it's lack of a good VBA environment. But I could be wrong. And I don't feel like tracking my battery life all that much. I wish I could see the cycle count somehow, but tracking it sounds about as fun as cycling the battery in my macbook pro (damn near impossible for me to find the time).

6. angle thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try and upload some screenshots later tonight. Though I'm sure it won't comfort you, the files are clean and clear (I promise). There shouldn't be any VBA in it, all cells use functions entered directly into the cells. No macros either.

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

that is the best email address i have ever seen.

8. Killquake macrumors member

If your really into tracking your usage this is great :D. But on the other hand, i'd rather just go into settings>general>usage and guess what i used it on :p