Battery life drain on power supply

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -BigMac-, Mar 31, 2014.

1. -BigMac- macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi Guys.

I am curious if/how bad is having your macbook pro plugged into the power source after it has reached 100% charge. Is there an effect on the battery life 'maximum charge' when constantly left plugged in for a few hours, overnight or even for a couple of days.

I have always thought this must have some negative effects on the battery.
    Anyone shed some light on this please?

Thanks a lot :D
  2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Jul 24, 2009
    As long as you use your battery (1 cycle) per month it'll be fine. If your storing it for long periods it's better to be at 50-70% before powering down and storing.

Other than that use it as you please. You won't overcharge the battery leaving it plugged in
  3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Mar 14, 2008
    No, we aren't in the 90's anymore. Battery myths such as this one need to die a quick and painless death.

Let's clear a few things up:

Today's batteries do not have a memory effet.
    Today's batteries do not need to be constantly cycled to stay effective.
    Today's batteries cannot overcharge.
    Today's batteries all have a micro-controller ensuring proper charge rate, and that controller even trickle charges and discharges the battery to keep the electrons flowing when plugged in for long periods (we're talking months here).

To keep it short and simple: Use your battery however you please, nothing you do will make it have a longer lifetime, it'll die on its own, regardless of your usage in 3-5 years.
  4. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    thanks heaps :) taht puts my mind at ease :)