battery life drop from ipad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NateJamesMeyers, Mar 16, 2011.

1. NateJamesMeyers macrumors member

when the ipad 1 was on the apple store it boasted "10 hours of battery life" and now the ipad 2 claims "up to 10"? has anyone noticed this significant drop from ipad 1? apparently the battery is half the size but of course the dual core processor allows it to use less battery life on the same tasks.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Where are you seeing "Up To?"

Apple.com is promoting "Same 10 Hrs" and my iPad 2 has latest just as long as the first iPad, I haven't notices any decrease in battery performance.

[​IMG]

3. NateJamesMeyers thread starter macrumors member

oh snap :rolleyes: well anyways ignore the up to. the batteries half the size is anyone seeing less battery life?

4. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

Mine didn't last as long as my Gen1, but I was thinking it might get better in a few days. Mine lasted about 7-8 hours today.

5. anthony691 macrumors newbie

The battery is almost the exact same capacity (ever so slightly larger). They did a great job keeping power consumption under control with the A5.

I've found battery life to be the same.

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

There's kind of a break-in period (a few days) before the battery gives you its full potential. At least that's what my experience was with the iPhone.

Apple has adjusted their battery claims slightly. They're attempting to advertise in real-life numbers much the same as the auto industry. Autos used to determine their MPGs by traveling downhill with no heat or air, windows rolled up and with the wind on smooth pavement while drafting a large semi. I mean who operates a device at the dimmest with wifi and Bluetooth turned off and only one small app open?

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Ok, so lets be clear about this............

So far we have a 1Ghz CPU that all techy tests so far seem to say is running at around 900Mhz at best.

We have up to 9x graphics boasted, and no test, not even the most techy test I've seen yet has managed to show a 9x speed up.

And finally we have a battery life that not the same as the iPad1 as they said.

I think I see a common trend emerging here.
    It rhymes with "porkie pies"

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

No quantitative data to back it up but on observation alone, my iPad 2 battery seems to be draining noticeably faster than my previous iPad 1 with no changes in types of use. I haven't drained it fully yet and will probably do so tomorrow as I believe it's recommended to be done periodically (helps calibrate battery?), hopefully will make a difference. Unfortunately I no longer have my old iPad or i'd test both batteries during identical uses.

9. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I suspect the reason why Apple dropped the speed of the CPU to 900Mhz was to be able to obtain the same 10 hours of battery life. Another reason would be to prevent overheating, ut to me that would be just an excuse. I would expect Apple to give us the option to change the CPU speed to 1GHz at the expense of reduced battery life.
    Why have a 1GHz CPU not running at full speed? It's kind of deceiving. Maybe if we all make some noise we may be heard and get this option, just like it happened with the side switch selector in 4.3.

Regarding the Graphics speed, I currently have nothing to say about it. Maybe someone could provide more detail about it.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Wish the iPad had a usage counter like on the iPhone. It's be much easier to tell.

11. diabolic macrumors 68000

And yet in all the testing the iPad 2 absolutely destroys any competition in any benchmark tests.

I'm definitely getting about the same battery life as I did with the first iPad. It might be exactly the same, but I'm not running exact tests. I just know I'm not having to charge it any more frequently that I did the first one. If it's not the same, it's really close.

It's amazing how hard people will try to put a negative spin on things.

Apple doesn't want people caring about clock speed, but rather to focus on the overall experience. They aren't catering to people who pay attention to what CPU is in the device.

12. [G5]Hydra macrumors regular

Most reviews seem to indicate that the battery life is even better than the original iPad. Case in point Ars just updated their review to state this:

Those are some impressive numbers IMHO.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/03/ipad-2-the-ars-review.ars/5

All their numbers were better than the first iPad AFAICT.

13. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

+1

Mines seems to be running down a bit faster than my iPad 1, but it's hard to be certain. Maybe I'm using the iPad 2 more since I got it.

14. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Everyone is also hammering their ipads right now. I'm sure after a few weeks when you fall into a normal usage mode, everything will seem fine.

15. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

That's what you used to do with the old NiCad rechargeables. The newer batteries (Li-Ion) don't really need this, and draining really isn't that good for them. In fact charging them more, especially when new, increases their performance.

16. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

You're correct, it's not the battery that needs a full cycle but rather the software. It's a good idea to drain completely and recharge because it allows the software to recalibrate to the actual battery as opposed to more of a guess.

I'd also suggest people turn off the percentage indicator and use their iPad like normal and see if they notice a difference. It's a brand new device, you're bound to pay more attention to the battery claims than you did with your previous iPad.