battery life during sleep mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seabreeze56, Oct 10, 2018.

1. seabreeze56 macrumors member

seabreeze56

My old battery in my macbook pro late 2012 was not holding a charge very well anymore so I bought a new battery. At night when I put it to sleep, it loses at least 10-12%. It goes from 100% and when I wake it up in the AM, it's down to 89%. Is this normal?? I talked with Apple and they said I need to buy a battery from them. The battery I bought is for this computer, brand new. This is what the old battery was doing so that's why I bought a new one. But doing the same thing. I just don't believe that I need to spend a lot of money buying from them. Maybe it's true?? I don't know.

2. nerowolfe19 macrumors member

2012 "15 rMBP replaced battery couple of months ago. Similar issue. This is what fixed it for me. Basically it forces hibernation mode after going to sleep.

I'm running Sierra mind you. If you're running a newer MacOS, you may need to account for some slight differences between the two (standbydelaylow and standbydelayhigh instead of standbydelay for example)

3. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

I found High Sierra and Mojave have both resulted in significant decreases of battery during sleep.

On Sierra I'd lose 4% to 6% sleeping from 6pm until 8am. With HS that went to around 10%. With Mojave it's up to perhaps 30%.

4. seabreeze56 thread starter macrumors member

seabreeze56

I"m running on HS. How did you put it in hibernation mode?

5. nerowolfe19 macrumors member

By lowering the hibernation delay to 30 seconds after going to sleep, as per link above. On my system it's a good compromise, given it's a tad slower than waking up from normal sleep. But it works and battery doesn't drain anymore (turned off autosleep, as it messes up things for whatever reason, I put it to sleep manually by pressing power button) so I'm content with that.