Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdoken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Hey Guys,

I created a little battery test to test out my
2009 Unibody Macbook Pro. The test basically is a automator workflow that refreshes 2 websites every 30, and 20 seconds respectively. It will continually loop for 500 minutes (your laptop will probably be gone by then). I was a little disappointed by the results. I got a little more than 4.5 hours. I know anandtech.com got around 8.14 hours. Anyway please see below, and if anyone wants to duplicate the test, please go ahead.

Machine: Macbook Pro 5,3 , 3.06 Ghz, 4 GB ram, 7200 rpm hard drive,
9400M/9600M GT graphics

Battery:
Model Information:
Serial Number: W0932AXAL77YA
Manufacturer: SMP
Device name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0003
Hardware Revision: 0003
Cell Revision: 0100
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 274
Fully charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full charge capacity (mAh): 6198
Health Information:
Cycle count: 23
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 4253
Voltage (mV): 11690

Setup: All applications closed, all non system background process stopped, firewall stopped, file sharing off. Bluetooth off, screen [half brightness], keyboard backlight off, battery fully charged 100%. Make sure in the energy saver, computer sleep and display sleep are set to "never" and uncheck "Put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible. I also set my screen saver to "never" in the Desktop & Screen Saver item in System Preferences. "Bettery battery Life" used in Energy Saver - System Preferences

How to run test: Download the attached automator workflow. Open it, save it as [change File Format to Application], and run it. {not sure: running it as a application vs workflow, might be more efficient, and thats how i tested it}. Once your system, shuts off due to power, replug the power adapter, stop the workflow, and search in finder for a log file called "datetime3.log". Subtract the final entry (choose the time at the bottom that is the first time, that is less than the time after you plug in and power on the computer from its discharged state; because after you power it on the test will still run, so you have to kill the battery test immediately), from the first entry. That should give your battery life estimate.

My results:
Start: Sun Jan 10 21:23:46 EST 2010
End: Mon Jan 11 01:57:17 EST 2010
Result: 4:34 hours

Attachments

• battery_test.workflow.zip
    116.2 KB · Views: 306
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.